• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Windows 10, cannot play online games, lag spikes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I refer to this as the "other" Windows 10 thread https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/773926-quot-Cortana-you-re-fired!-quot
It was mostly a gripe session for a while but it got back on track and has lots of solutions to common Windows 10 issues, including update issues. It doesn't involve a lot of fixing the OS so much as crippling some of its more obnoxious habits. Not How To Train Your OS, but more like How To Beat Your OS In To Submission. LOL Maybe you can find some useful stuff and go dual boot with your W7 rig and work on getting it to behave the way you want it to instead of the way MS says you should.

I bought a D-Link AC600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi USB Adapter, Hooked up my Lynksys router to get the signal broadcast closer to my room, and with what should be a rock solid connection, I'm still banding and stuttering around in all games.

Loaded up Windows 7 one more time to make sure I wasn't fooling myself, and played like 5 rounds of BFV in bliss, 100 ish FPS, no stutters, no banding .... just perfect.

Windows 10 has cost me $6 for the License, $40 + tax for the unneeded probably overpriced Wifi adapter, $10 gas, as well as the tragic and malicious destruction of my weekend. I'm manning the Windows 7 Life raft, which looks like a cruise liner compared the floating Supermax that is Windows 10 right now.

A hint to Windows 10 issue might be the 4000ish errors that I've got in event viewer since installing it 5 days ago, many of them seconds apart and stating something about windows update failing to connect.... go figure.

A lot of folks including me have stuttering and hitches with BFV and BF1 depending on the server you connect to, sometimes it is fine and sometimes it is not. It is the game fault not the hardware or windows 10 fault.

Occasional stuttering is one thing... constant is an issue.

Does this happen when running wired network? Does it happen with your USB wifi device in another USB port? How about another machine... does it happen with that wifi device there?

I doubt its w10... let's not take the easy way out, lol.

many of them seconds apart and stating something about windows update failing to connect.... go figure.
Try disabling updates/checking for updates and see if that helps. ;)

It may have worked for a while because it actually connected and updated? Or stopped trying in that time. Not sure why you are struggling to connect to it though. I have several w10 machines, half on wifi and work without issue (though one machine shuts off wifi from the bios for some odd reason).

Last edited:
Are you using a USB 3.0 port for the wifi adapter? I have a TP Link adapter that refuses to play nice with USB 3.0, so I have to plug it in to USB 2.0.

I'll test it wired on the weekend, it's a little impractical right now since I'd have to take the computer downstairs and occupy the living room for a meaningful gaming session to test, but in the long run I still need the wireless to work the same as it has served me for the last 5+ years.

I've been using it in a 2.0 port all along but I have tried it in a 3.0 port, same result. As far as trying it in another machine it works in this machine, dual booting back into Windows 7 puts me back in action. Buying a new and more expensive adapter didn't fix the lagging either.

I went into Windows update and Checked for Updates last night, Windows downloaded some stuff and I restarted and fired up Fortnite for a whirl. 2 matches in I had to go back to Windows 7 to continue my session. It was like the lag was on a slow patterned pulse where I would have a mild quick rubber banding every 3 or 4 seconds.

honestly id try a fresh install with a different install media something seems strange which often is the installation media.

honestly id try a fresh install with a different install media something seems strange which often is the installation media.

This is where I was at in my mind as well, thinking about just reinstalling Windows 10,( which could potentially cost me another weekend for nothing). I downloaded it from MS and used the Media creation app or whatever they give you. As an ISO onto a DVD because I didn't want to sacrifice an thumb drive when I've always done things the DVD way. The installation appeared to have gone well.

I'm telling you one thing though, it's easy to forget how much time and work goes into getting your OS installed, drivered up, all of your user profiles for games and stuff ported over. DRM's like Epic game Launcher is going to want to re-download Fortnite before it will accept that it already exists on that drive because Epic's Launcher is terrible compared to Origin or Steam which figure it out with no fuss. Etc. Etc. Etc.

It takes an hour for me to restore windows... 25 mins to install, the rest for drivers and setup. That is, when I dont use my base I stall image then it takes about 25 mins total from the image. :)

Have you turned off the gaming DVR feature?

I logged into Windows 10 to check on that and it turns out I had disabled all that Windows Game Mode stuff. Then while I was there I checked the connection to Xbox Network and it kept saying I failed to qualify for Teredo or something like that. So I hit FIX, and it did some stuff then said I was good for Xboxnetwork. I'm only pretty sure it's not related and Windows 10 has decided to let me play for a little while, but I'm playing Fortnite right now in Windows 10 with no lagging. That being the only action I took.

Last edited:
Back