• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Windows 10, cannot play online games, lag spikes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motherboard1

So I've installed Windows 10 to dabble a bit and check out what freesync and HDR look like. I cannot play any multiplayer games, my ping constantly spikes from 120 to 999 in any online game, this is every 5 seconds or so putting me in a constant state of rubber banding. I can do normal things like youtube, though playback feels sluggish if I move the slider around or load a new window. I'm not prevented from watching videos though nor downloading large files with reasonable speed.

I've been messing with this all day, following a few steps from the internet such as disabling shared updates or whatever. The only thing that works is booting back into Windows 7 ( Dual boot, same machine ) and Voila, magically I have bandwidth and smooth gaming again.

I've gamed for the last 5-6 years now on a wireless connection through a cheap TP Link nano USB adapter, 800 hrs of BF3, 600 of BF4, 600 in Rocket League, some fortnite recently and a handful of others and I've never had an issue with ping, nor have I once played wired in ( can't anyway ).

Think if I call Microsoft and beg real hard they might let me have use of some of my bandwidth? You know, when they're done with it for all their stupid background apps.

Have you installed all your chipset drivers and network drivers?

You know, when they're done with it for all their stupid background apps.
:rofl: nice, but that isnt it (unless its DLing updates...).

What does your network traffic look like when this is happening? Does it show spikes and dips (see task manager)?

Have you installed all your chipset drivers and network drivers?

:rofl: nice, but that isnt it (unless its DLing updates...).

What does your network traffic look like when this is happening? Does it show spikes and dips (see task manager)?

Thanks man, yur right..

The first thing I did was go to the gigabyte website and download all the drivers I needed, apparently excluding the most important one.
I read the description as being some sort of remote access utility or something but I guess it was more than that. Once I installed that everything was perfect.

If you just installed windows it might have been downloading windows updates while playing.

Which driver did the trick?

Intel management engine. It's description seems to point to it as some sort of remote access thing, for features like waking your computer remotely. Given that there are only like 2 chipset drivers I guess it was pretty important to have them both. It looks like the intel management engine must have had more purpose than what I read into it, my mistake.

If you just installed windows it might have been downloading windows updates while playing.

Probably, and I had no way to even know it was going on (as Microsoft would have it. ) Perhaps the downloads completed, I came home from work installed a driver and everything was good so I'm making a false connection?

All I know is that I never have used the Intel management engine driver on any of my PCs and my internet and gaming also pings are great because I have fiber optic internet. They way I look at it anything can go temporarily wrong with internet not necessarily from the home PC. I even use the default widows 10 LAN driver since there is no difference for me in pings and speed of the driver from the motherboard download page.:)

Probably, and I had no way to even know it was going on (as Microsoft would have it. ) Perhaps the downloads completed, I came home from work installed a driver and everything was good so I'm making a false connection?
it doesnt notify you, however if it is DLing, windows update page in your PC shows it. So would task mananger.

I think some form of ME is always loaded as the cpu needs it to boot. Updating it may have allowed for the system to better ID it and run properly? No idea... IME is a curious creature.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

Motherboard is describing AMT though it sounds like which is in the ME driver IIRC? I dont know...

Last edited:
Are you noticing network activity from other things when this is happening?

No I'm watching the resource monitor and the wireless config utility that comes with the TPlink adapter and nothing appears to be accessing any bandwidth. All I'm seeing in Windows is spikes to 10 Kbps, nothing really. TCP connections are near 200, but I don't think that number counts for anything... right?

The wireless utility has the following behavior, it shows 100% signal strength, but whenever I Launch a game or anything that strength drops to like 50% then up and down.

I will log into a server in BFV where the server browser shows me having 30 ping, but as soon as I start to move around in game I get rubber banding every 3 seconds and spikes to 999. Logging into my Windows 7 account and playing fixes everything.

It's not just BFV btw I've tried several games with the same result. Maybe the driver for the TPLink adapter for Windows 10 is garbage. Maybe I can uninstall it and Windows will use one by default or something? I've always used the manufacturers drivers.

Ever feel like your burnt out on tech upgrades? Everything you "Upgrade" it brings days of aggravation into your life, and by the time you get everything working smooth technology has moved on and your behind the curve.

---------

Think I might jump in the car and go pick up a different wireless adapter. I'm ready to just throw money at the problem. All of this for Freesync and HDR, neither of which are even that great IMO.

I strongly prefer to use said products drivers instead of relying on windows which tend to be older. Go get the uplink drivers from their website.

I strongly prefer to use said products drivers instead of relying on windows which tend to be older. Go get the uplink drivers from their website.

That's what I've always used. I downloaded the Windows 10 version before I even installed Windows 10.

I bought a D-Link AC600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi USB Adapter, Hooked up my Lynksys router to get the signal broadcast closer to my room, and with what should be a rock solid connection, I'm still banding and stuttering around in all games.

Loaded up Windows 7 one more time to make sure I wasn't fooling myself, and played like 5 rounds of BFV in bliss, 100 ish FPS, no stutters, no banding .... just perfect.

Windows 10 has cost me $6 for the License, $40 + tax for the unneeded probably overpriced Wifi adapter, $10 gas, as well as the tragic and malicious destruction of my weekend. I'm manning the Windows 7 Life raft, which looks like a cruise liner compared the floating Supermax that is Windows 10 right now.

A hint to Windows 10 issue might be the 4000ish errors that I've got in event viewer since installing it 5 days ago, many of them seconds apart and stating something about windows update failing to connect.... go figure.

Back