• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 Overclock crashing since downgrading to Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usuhbi

Hi gentlemen,

My specs are:
Fx 8350
ATI radeon 7970
Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 motherboard
16gb ram
PSU = Gold standard (like 900 watts)

I overclocked my CPU and GPU to improve performance on PUBG 2 weeks ago. At the time, I was running on Windows 10. I overclocked my cpu to 4.5ghz @ 1.4625v via AMD overdrive (yes I know overdrive sucks but I don't feel comfortable with OC'ing in BIOS yet) and my gpu to 1170 core clock and 1500 memory clock @ stock voltage. I achieved significant boost in FPS and loved the OC. OC was stable on Intelburn test and Prime95 and ingame on all games including PUBG.

I downgraded back to Windows 7 last night with fresh install (due to annoyance with windows 10) and have not been able to play PUBG on any CPU overclock. I can play every other game on my OC settings and everything ran fine. Now, I can run PUBG on stock settings. But when I run PUBG on even the slightest CPU OC such as 4.100ghz (stock = 4.000ghz), PUBG just crashes immediately in main menu. No BSOD. Game just crashes to desktop.

I tried updating all my drivers to latest and various other fixes with the game. I don't know what's going on. Until I can figure it out, I will continue to play on stock settings. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks for taking the time to read everyone.

I have to agree could be a SW issue with Win7 AMDOD and your game. You can try in BIOS just setting the multi to 20.5 or 21 which will give you a slight OC 41-4200. If the game runs then you know it's software related

Smells like win7 dosnt like PUBG. Anyway try using BIOS instead all you have to do is disable all types of power savings and turbo core, increase multy little by little when BSOD appears increase voltage by one increment don't go over 1.5v. Overdrive have way too many issues I can bet that its main reason for crashes be sure to restore to defaults in it then go to BIOS

It looks like Windows 7 doesn't like AMD Overdrive. Even the slightest OC was crashing PUBG for some reason. I OC'd in BIOS and its running fine.

Had some questions regards to OCing in BIOS. I am at 4.4ghz @ 1.44V right now. My CPU is watercooled with MasterLiquid 120 All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump by Cooler Master so I should be able to OC alot. I basically followed everything this guy did except the CPU load line calibration I have set to medium (
). Should I put it to Ultra as well?

8 core FX on a 120mm AIO?.........You won't be overclocking alot. You're almost there now. What are your load temps like?

I agree with Mr. Scott that an AIO won't let your CPU shine.
Are you running 2 or 4 sticks of ram? you want 2 as the memory controller handles the load better. I was able to boost my OC (through the BIOS) by 400Mhz with a custom loop over a Corsair H100. There are several OC tweak that are present in the BIOS that are not available to you in Overdrive but in order to utilize them you will need a more robust cooing system.

Last edited:
I just finished cinebench @ 4.6ghz @ 1.46V. Been stable playing PUBG for 12hrs now

Back