• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobo, cant boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It then tells me to put in my installation disk and run repair. I bought this as a compaq and vista already came preinstalled. Any ideas?

Borrow a disc from someone, and repair the installation.

Try booting to the DVD, pick an option that gives you a command prompt, and run fixmbr.

Usually the only time you can change motherboards on a working Windows install is either when the board is identical or has the same chipset, or you change your hard drive controller driver to a standard windows driver like msahci or standard ide/atapi before the swap. Otherwise Windows is going to try to load and boot from a disk controller driver that doesn't exist in your system anymore, and then fail to boot.

Oh, makes sense. I learned the hard way. I will definitely remember that next time I upgrade. Would it have been possible to load the motherboard drivers on the old system before switching to the new one?

Depends on the drivers. If they were "have disk" drivers like you use during a Windows install, then most likely. You could do that with XP, tbh I haven't tried with Vista or Win 7. Ideally, all you would have to do is add hardware, pick scsi/raid controller, and have disk your drivers. Easiest thing is just to switch to a standard driver though like msahci or standard ide/atapi like I mentioned before. Then once you're up on the new board, you can install the chipset drivers and change the mode in bios to ahci. If you're running an onboard raid 0 this is pretty much not an option though, since most of the controllers have their disks formatted differently. Anyway, once you've done that, viola...all up and running.

Back