• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant Blue Screens - Is it my hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zonnza

So I built this computer in my sig this tuesday. (Except for the 2nd hard drive, only have one WD harddrive put in at the moment).

I installed windows XP 32bit on it (untill windows 7 comes out, ill be upgrading to win7 pro)

I keep getting blue screens, only in WoW tho. Only game I have installed on it at the moment untill I can figure out whats going on.

Almost every blue screen is a nv4_disp.dll error. I'm familiar with this error and have fixed it in the past, but this time NOTHING works.
Could my windows OS be corrupted?

I was told that I might need to do a SSD alignment because it could be the issue. The guy who told me about it said he would walk me throught it tomorrow (friday night).

I just wanted to get input from you guys to figure out what the issue may be; should I reformat and reinstall windows xp.

I might spend this weekend rebuilding my computer just to make sure all my connections are good, im so mad and frustrated tho... its unbelievable.

If you need more info on stuff please post.

I don't see it being an SSD alignment issue, but it's possible...I guess. That's going to be a PITA if you're all set up to change the SSD offset. Any chance of testing your game on a regular spinning HD before you fiddle with SSD alignments?

I did some messing around with my bios with my buddy.

We decided on the following: (also a good reminder for me)
I first changed around how my PSU is connected to parts of my computer, some rewiring.
I went into bios changed some voltages, changed my ram timings/command rate/etc

Im going to remount the 295 and see what happens, Im also gonna take off those clear plastic peal thing off them.
If the card still errors, im going to put my old 8800GTS in after uninstalling drivers, and reinstall drivers and see if I crash again.
If I keep crashing, im going to take my computer GFX out and put the 295 in, then take the SSD and delete their volumes with sanitary eraser on my old computer, one by one. Then I'll use diskpar.exe to partition the whole drive and set the offset by 128 (since my raid0 stripe size will be 128). And then Ill reinstall them into my old computer and set up a raid0 and install xp again on them. Thus aligning them.

If I remounted my 295 and it still crashes, then replace that and use the 8800gts with reinstalled drivers to check if it crashes. If with the 8800gts, my computer DOESNT crash. I am going to RMA the 295 to newegg.

NOW here is the important part. I just learned recently about multi-gpu cards. I don't know if i favor them. If I RMA my 295 back. Do you guys think it may be worth it to just buy a single 285 card? Im looking for a card that will last me maybe a year or so. I only play WoW now, and soon Aion... I know these games don't have extreme graphics requirements. I would like to play both with max settings (no shadows in wow, wow shadows suck). I do not play any FPS games at all atm.
My buddy suggested this, but im hesitatent because of the recent release of it: He said I should just but a 5870 radeon card... I have never used radeon cards for my setups... He has never used them either till he got 2 5870 cards this last week. I honestly don't want to consider this option vs a single 285 or a single 295. But if you guys can give me a lot of positives on the ati cards vs nvidia's then I may give it a shot. The reason my buddy offered that option is because when i get win7, ill be able to put more use out of the card cause of directx 10 and 11

So Just waiting for win7 to release now. Also, my buddy and me think it's not worth buying a win7 upgrade for my EOM xp. Im considering just grabing a win7 pro full for its hefty price of 300 bucks... I have the cash and I don't mind it. I figure it may be worth not having to install windows xp then install 7 after that. Do you guys think it may be worth the extra crash just to buy the full version. It will save my xp install incase i need it for a 2nd computer and Im going to sell my student discount win7 to someone for 40bucks since you cant cancel that pre-order. What do you guys think about that?

Any other comments would be nice.

Last edited:
Back