• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H50 push/pull w/pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Living Waters

Registered
I have a Corsair H50 that I modded into my case which is a Cool Master Storm Sniper.
The way I have the 120mm radiator modded in is a push/pull configuration that sits in the front inside the 5½ bay drives pulling air inside the case from the front of the case, which it should be doing. What was nice about the Storm Sniper case is that it has five 5½ bay drives that have air holes with filters on them all ready, I modded the 120mm radiator to sit in the back area taking up four 5 ½ bays with two Scythe S-FLEX 120mm Case Fan, 1600RPM. I all so installed right behind the drive bay filters, a Masscool 140mm case fan to pull air into the drive bays forcing air into the Corsair radiator with the two Scythe 120mm fans in a push/pull configuration. I just got these parts and still waiting on other parts to complete my gaming build, so I have not done a live test to see what the temps would be yet, I am also thinking about removing the thermal paste that corsair has on there with something like Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound or what ever is recommended these days. I will post pics of what I have done soon.

This mod should cool the H50 even more so with the intake air being pushed by the 140mm Fan with the push/pull into the case, and air exiting out in the back and up top of the case. Well hope this helps!
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

You do realize that in the 5th picture, You have the fans working AGAINST each other right? That front AMB fan would be blowing towards the camera while the interal fan is blowing AWAY from the camera....You have the rad fans setup right, but the front fan needs to be blowing IN the case.

EDIT: There is PLENTY of room for the ram. The board is 2" away from the fan and the ram is in on the board a bit too. PLENTY.

Last edited:
+1 for AS5
also +1 for what earthdog said about the fans. right now you have them set up so that it is pull/pull on either side which will only cause the fans to fight each other. easiest way to tell is the the gaurded side(side with the 3-4 pillars in front of the fan blades) is where is the push side. Open side is pull. good luck!

FWIW, there are a few compounds that perform better than AS:5 and do not have capacitive properties. I've been very happy with MX-2 for a while now. It gave me a consistent 2C drop on my old E8400.

Anyway...can't see the pics from here, but what CPU are you using it on, with what overclock? How are temps?

Let me be a little more clear... :)

Fan setup on the rad is fine, its that front fan that (AMB) is setup wrong and needs to be turned around.

Sorry guys i was in a hurry this morrning and must have placed that fan backwards, this is still a fresh build and I have not yet got the Power supply yet, but this weekend I will be getting the Corsair HT1000W PS and will have all the fans blowing in the right direction.

1kw PSU ehh? What are you running that you need that? Two 4870x2's? 2 GTX295s?

Sorry, this is what I have planed for the rest of my build

Intel core i7-920 2.66GHz
Asus P6t Deluxe v2
Corsair Dominator GT PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
150GB WD Velociraptor drive
2x Radeon 5870 in crossfire config (XFX)
Turtle beach ear force HPA2 5.1 head set
Asus 25.5in widescreen LCD vw266h
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Razor Keyboard and mouse
maybe later i may get the Asus Xonar D2x sound card

Nice looking build! You most certainly dont need a 1kw PSU for it though. The corsiar 850HX would have been a perfect fit. But more never hurts. Enjoy, post pix and benches when she is up!!! :)

Nice looking build! You most certainly dont need a 1kw PSU for it though. The corsiar 850HX would have been a perfect fit. But more never hurts. Enjoy, post pix and benches when she is up!!! :)

You think the 1000W would be a bit too much for this build? I was thinking about getting the Corsair 850HX and its about 100 bucks less then the 1000w one, humm I think i am going to save some money and get the 850HX, thanks.

There is no such thing as too much really...BUT you can easily work with an overclocked i7, two 5870's, and watercooling (pump and fans) with that 850HX PSU or any other name brand PSU with 70A on 12v rail... :)

I forgot to mention that I will be over clocking the core i7 920 2.66GHz to a safe 3.2 GHz until I test what my H50 temps are to OC it up a bit more to maybe 3.6GHz.

Here are the BIOS setting that I plan to set to achieve 3.2GHz

AI Tweaker = Manuel
BCLK= 200
CPU Ratio =16 (16x200=3200) (CPU Multi=16)
DRAM Frequency= DDR3-1600MHz (Memory Multi=8)
Uncore= DDR3-3200MHz (Uncore Multi=16)
QPI= 3600MHz (QPI Multi=18)

(CPU clock 3200) (QPI clock 3600) (Uncore clock 3200) (Mem clock DDR3-1600)

My answer does not change. You will be fine so long as your temps are under control (Keep it under 80C while stress testing). That H50 isnt much better than the top aftermarket air coolers really.

Just don't getted lulled into a false sense of security that because it is a "kit" that you are safe from general watercooling hazards. It can leak. The pump can break. There isn't any data yet, but my guess is that both would fail faster with this than do-it-yourself, especially the pump. A D5 pump has a 5 1/2 year MTBF for 24/7 use.

If Corsair had a dual rad, performance could increase substantially while not adding much cost to the entire setup.

Just don't getted lulled into a false sense of security that because it is a "kit" that you are safe from general watercooling hazards. It can leak. The pump can break. There isn't any data yet, but my guess is that both would fail faster with this than do-it-yourself, especially the pump. A D5 pump has a 5 1/2 year MTBF for 24/7 use.

If Corsair had a dual rad, performance could increase substantially while not adding much cost to the entire setup.

This would be my first time using water cooling and OCing, what I plan on doing later on in the year is upgrading the Corsair H50 to a custom build CPU water cooling solution that would be best for a socket 1366, maybe the Thermal take bigwater with a heat killer for the CPU water block? or what ever comes in about a years time. But for now I will be using the Corsair H50 and if it last for a year with out any problems then who knows I may just keep it for a few more years untill I change out the CPU water cooler. :santa:

No...no no no...no Thermaltake. You're better off...MUCH better off...with the H50. If you want to go custom water cooling we can help you, but you'd be throwing $80 down the toilet pairing that beautiful water block up with anything from Thermaltake.

Back