• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A hard drive array, sort of

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ou_phidelt

Here is the problem. I put together an Windows Home Server with disastrous results. What I to is go back old school and connect them all to my notebook and manage it locally, My notebook has a single E-SATA port. I would like what ever I buy to be able hold at least two drives but preferably would like it to have room for four. Then all those wires come to a point where it goes into my notebook. I still want to be able to manage my drives as individuals, I do not want JBOD. I am not really looking for any raid, I am still coming up with the backup plan as this point. It should be a very basic device that hold the drives and consolidates the outputs so a single E-SATA cord but allows me to still access a particular drive. Cost is always a concern but around $100 would be nice but am willing to go higher if need be. Any thoughts?

If your really lucky and find one used you might be able to get the enclosure your describing for around 100, new itll be more like 200. On the other hand you can find two drive enclosures for around your price. i dont have any experience with them so i couldnt tell you which brand is good etc but newegg has a bunch of them

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...:7137&page=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=False

you can browse through them and see what i mean about the 4 drive enclosures

Yeah, I had looked their and was hoping someone had an idea of somewhere else that may have had something cheaper. At this point I am thinking of just picking up another Antec MX-1 and just sticking my two 1.5TB's in those, adding an E-SATA expresscard and calling it a day for now. I am going to miss streaming to my 360/PS3 but not knowing if the server is working on a day to day basis has just gotten old. Particularly when I run it headless and have to drag out a monitor and kb/mouse to see what the problem is.

What sorta issues were you having with WHS ? you can install ultra vlc for a nice and fast vlc connection so you wont ever have to drag out that monitor/input devices ever again ;)

Back