• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

non supported mobo phenom 965be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

staticpage

Registered
I'm not having any problems with my biostar ta790gx a2+. But a guy at biostar told me that this board did not support the 965be because it's not a "dual power plane" mobo. he also said that it would only run at 800Mhz. When I first installed it, it did run at only 800mhz but that's because the bios did not have settings for the 965 (I guess), I had to manually clock it to the right bus and multiplier.

Can any one shed some light on why he said this, and if my ta790gx a2+ really cant run the 965 right. I have had the 965 up for 5 days at 100% nonstop and no hangs.

could this limit my overclocking I have a killer water cooled qmax Peltier setup I want to install. I don't want to prep the mobo for it then find out its a no go.

That MB will run that CPU alright at stock settings but you're going to have trouble getting it stable at any kind of a OC. The board just isn't designed to deliver the power that CPU is going to demand.

I'm not having any problems with my biostar ta790gx a2+. But a guy at biostar told me that this board did not support the 965be because it's not a "dual power plane" mobo. he also said that it would only run at 800Mhz. When I first installed it, it did run at only 800mhz but that's because the bios did not have settings for the 965 (I guess), I had to manually clock it to the right bus and multiplier.

Can any one shed some light on why he said this, and if my ta790gx a2+ really cant run the 965 right. I have had the 965 up for 5 days at 100% nonstop and no hangs.

could this limit my overclocking I have a killer water cooled qmax Peltier setup I want to install. I don't want to prep the mobo for it then find out its a no go.
The 945 is on the CPU support list so I don't see any reason it won't run the 965.

That being said, I would add MOSFET cooling to your board before attempting any OC at all and, for my conscience, I wouldn't run it 24/7 either. I managed to pop a power chip running a 9950BE at stock. I hadn't hardly got the board warmed up (< 2 hours testing) when one of those chips went out in a sparkler flash. Biostar replaced the board but I suspect the lack of airflow around the CPU is what killed it (using a TRUE). If you do plan to go water you'll have even less airflow than I did. I'd get some of those small heatsinks and attach them, or chopup an old aluminum CPU cooler like I did. ;)

Edit:
I think they're right about the single-plane power, though. That doesn't mean the 965 won't run on it but it does mean you won't have a separate cpuNB voltage control. IIRC the cpuNB power will vary with the vCore so you'll get more heat raising your vCore than with a dual-plane board.

I could OC on an AM2 mobo with 3 phase PWM am 550BE. The 965 could result in popping PWM like good old Phenom 1s.
Don't I know it! With any luck he's got a 125W CPU instead of the 140W ...

Last edited:
Yes, with single plane power boards NB gets teh same V on the gigabyte board with Deneb V tuning was disabled. Which makes me wonder what would happen if you plug in an unsopported 965 with it's 1.4. 3 Phase PWM is okay for 95W load according to AMD.

The 945 is on the CPU support list so I don't see any reason it won't run the 965.

um no it's not
http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/t-series /cpu_support.php?S_ID=374

I,m going to take the cpu out soon so I can get the model #. It's killing me not knowing if it's the 140w or 125W. I got it for 169.99 new in a retail box from http://www.microcenter.com/. so I thought hella deal I can lose.

one more thing is that the MOSFET under full load gets very hot I touched part of it and it's unsettling. looking for a heatsink in my parts bin now. this is just a experiment rig I have a MSI 790FX-GD70 that I am putting the 965be and Peltier on.

You aren't running the "TA790GX A2+"?

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/t-series/cpu_support.php?S_ID=374

PCB Version : 5.x
Processor Processor Model sSpec/OPN# CPU Speed FSB/HT Watts
AMD Phenom™ II X4 x945 HDX945WFK4DGI 3000Mhz 4000Mhz 95W
AMD Phenom™ II X4 x820 HDX820WFK4FGI 2800Mhz 4000Mhz 95W
AMD Phenom™ II X4 940 HDZ940XCJ4DGI 3000Mhz 4000Mhz 125W
AMD Phenom™ II X4 925 HDX925WFK4DGI 2800Mhz 3600Mhz 95W
AMD Phenom™ II X4 920 HDX920XCJ4DGI 2800Mhz 4000Mhz 125W
AMD Phenom™ II X4 910 HDX910WFK4DGI 2600Mhz 3600Mhz 95W

But I'm not here to argue about it. If you're sure it's not there than I apologize and wish you luck ...

I don't see the AMD Phenom II X4 965 3400mhz on there or am I missing it.

any ways, I doubt a lot of people will have this problem but it was fun to play with. i fond a way to cool the mosfet then OC to 3.7ghz with this MB. it held for 20hrs i then shut it off and switched over to the msi MB.

I just dont like that there are a hand full of AMD Phenom II X4 that don't run on a am2+ MB.

I don't see the AMD Phenom II X4 965 3400mhz on there or am I missing it.
I'm sorry you misread my post. :(

I just dont like that there are a hand full of AMD Phenom II X4 that don't run on a am2+ MB.
I agree!!! I wish all motherboard manufacturers would support their products better! The way AMD designed AM2+ sockets and AM3 CPUs they will all work. Unfortunately, the board manufacturers have the final say in this. If the BIOS support isn't there then it's not going to happen. :(

As consumers the only thing we can do about it is quit buying boards from manufacturers with bad support ...

Back