• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Build *Pics*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sweefu

G'day guys,
have some time on my hands and some computer parts so i thought i'd start a bit of a project, i know the computer wont be great but it'll do, i'm more interested in building it then using it. I'm just using odds and ends i have, if i need something i'll get it secondhand.
It will be:
P4 3.0ghz 478 socket
2gb ddr1 (minimum)
hopefully SATA HDD
haven't bought mobo yet, just whatever i can find second hand
ATI Radeon 9200se
Black painted case
3 x 80mm fans (intake/exhaust/side)
400w psu

Looking for any suggestions here guys, for parts or how to mod the case. Is there any easy way to add top mounted fan? Would it make any difference with this system?
I plan to overclock, so will be looking for an aftermarket cooler but will be hard because of the old parts in this build, but once again i'm more doing it for the fun of building it than using it.

First few pics of me stripping the case, hope you enjoy as it gets better. Plan on spraying it with in a week or so.

Cheers!

(sorry for pic quality, and if they are not rotated right, i tried to but not sure if it saved, i'll get it all sorted out soon.)

Attachments

• DSCF2455 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2455 (Medium).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 496
  • DSCF2457 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2457 (Medium).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 497
  • DSCF2449 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2449 (Medium).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 501
  • DSCF2450 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2450 (Medium).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 496
Hey guys, does anyone have any idea on how to improve the cooling of this case?
I was thinking a could fit a 120mm or something bigger than 80mm on the side of the case, i included a few better pics.
Cheers.

Attachments

• DSCF2466 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2466 (Medium).JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 447
  • DSCF2467 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2467 (Medium).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 443
  • DSCF2465 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2465 (Medium).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 442
It looks like you can mode the lower front intake fan to accept a 120mm fan. You might end up sacrificing that lower 3.5 external bay but in my opinion it's worth it. You can take a Dremel to the rear 80mm exhaust and carve away the "grill" but leave the four screw holes for the fan. A little less resistance, a little less noise, a little more flow, a little more cooling. Then I'd take a 120mm hole saw to the top of the case to mount a 120mm exhaust fan. All that, and add a 80mm intake fan on the side panel to blow down onto the CPU and that should be all the cooling you need for that setup. Choose a bunch of low-speed fans and it should be cool and quiet.

Thanks for the help mate, i was thinking i might be able to put a 120mm in the front, i'll give it a go.
do you think it'll look dodgy on the top? I'd love to put it in..

Also i think i'll change to a spare core 2 duo system

Hey guys,
not sure if anyone is reading or looking, but thought i'd post up some pics of the case sprayed. i rubbed it back with 180grit wet and dry paper then did 4coats of primer, 4coats of black and 3 coats of clear over the top. i used a matte black and then the clear gave it a bit of shine, i think it came up really well.
also decided to spray the power supply, thought it would stick out like dogs balls if i didnt.
I have also changed my mind as to what he computer will now hold.. i have decided to take apart another computer i have for parts, and put:
Intel E8400 dual 3.0ghz processor
Foxconn All In One Mobo
2gb DDR2
160gb caviar blue hdd
400w true power supply
DVD rw drive
80mm intake/exhaust/side/under hdd fans
Windows 7 ultimate

Not sure if i should put LED fans or black fans? Or put some more led's in it?

I'm just starting to put everything back together now, There is one shot there with the top on with new pop rivets and psu next to it.
Also, computer will be for sale once completed if anyone is interested in Australia.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0195 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0195 (Medium).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0183 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0183 (Medium).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0190 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0190 (Medium).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0185 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0185 (Medium).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0188 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0188 (Medium).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 346
Here is a pic with everything in the computer, for anyone who might be interested. Computer is also for sale too.
Will upload some more pics of the components going in when i'm on my other computer.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSCF2486.jpg
    DSCF2486.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 281
whoa! that's a sick paint job.
i wish i took as much time to paint my case as you did.
i only did 2 coats of Matte black, and no protective coating whatsoever. now the paint scrapes off if you scratch hard enough.

it's looking great! :)
sorry not many people have commented.
i especially love the PSU paint job. dyou still have the spec sticker on at least one of the sides of your PSU?
my PSU had it on both sides, and i simply ripped off the stickers on the side facing the side panel so it looks a lot cleaner, but if i ever need to check the PSU spec i still got the sticker :thup:

thanks for the comment mate.
i left the sticker off because it ruined the black paint job haha but i still have it in the mobo box incase i need it.
i'll put up some more pics later on too. Plus.. computer is for sale haha..

Do you rekon the mobo looks better on all black?
Cheers.

yeah the mobo will stand out (in a bad way).
next mobo i want to get is an EVGA board, the all-black ones.
it'll enhance the stealth look. right now my copper heatsinks stand out, and it's still too colourful for me.
Gigabyte is even worse...pink and fluro green ram slots :p

Back