• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile broadband netbook....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
Right so as of very recently I've been looking into how much a netbook that will give me mobile interwebs would cost. Now from what I've seen so far, most carriers are going to charge 60 a month and I won't want to go over 5gb (not much of a problem, I leave my home computer on for downloads anyway). Now while I was looking at version I noticed that you can get a netbook from them for cheaps if you get it with a contract (100-200 for a entry level netbook? Not bad IMO). Problem is they seem to be (at least slightly) different models from what they sell at the egg, so I can't go check the reviews over there to make sure there isn't some important problem with them. I was also looking at sprint but they don't seem to give away sell netbooks with their plans, so I would have to get a netbook at full price, plus the adapter from them (which I would rather have an internal adapter since sticky out things tend to get knocked off) and still have a 1-2 year contract.

So basically my questions are, how good are the netbooks you get from verison (and we can do what we want with them right?), and that I'm not overlooking anything important.

first of all, if your paying more than 30 dollars/mo. for mobile internet, your getting ripped off. With Tmobile I have unlimited internet for 30 dollars. I use a G1 wireless tether. There are also phones out there you can tether USB. If you multiply 30 dollars a month (the difference of 60-30) times 2 years (your contract length) you come out to 720 dollars. You could get a g1 or mytouch contract for about 150 and a netbook for 300 and still come out better.

Just my 2 cents.

first of all, if your paying more than 30 dollars/mo. for mobile internet, your getting ripped off. With Tmobile I have unlimited internet for 30 dollars. I use a G1 wireless tether. There are also phones out there you can tether USB. If you multiply 30 dollars a month (the difference of 60-30) times 2 years (your contract length) you come out to 720 dollars. You could get a g1 or mytouch contract for about 150 and a netbook for 300 and still come out better.

Just my 2 cents.

I was using the $25 a month data plan for my blackberry, until I realized that no matter where I go, I have a wifi connection near by. The only reason I went with the lower priced data plan was because I already have the unlimited text plan for families, which is a total of $20 a month covering 4 phones. I also have the old hotspot@home plan (grandfathered in, they discontinued it a while back), so I have had months where I had used a total of up to 7 minutes (yes, you read that right) used against my plan. Either way, I have to agree with the quoted post. As far as I know, T-Mobile doesn't charge anything for tethering a device, but I have heard that some companies will charge up to $60 a month just to allow a tethered computer onto their network.

I'm not that worried about the monthly price since if I do get it I'll have someone else pay for that bit, I'm just worried about the hardware for the most part here.

Isn't that notebook like any regular notebook with availability to accept sim card in.

I don't know where you live, check Clear if it is available in your area.

Back