• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 260 Overheating?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rythn

Registered
I'm having problems with my BFG Tech GTX 260 OCX MaxCore (PC on my sig). On Windows 7 Ultimate x64 right when it says completing installation and restarts it, it then shows me a black screen with a blinking cursor and stays there. On Windows XP SP2 x32, Windows loads up fine, but once I install drivers and restart, it just shows me a blue screen verifying the hard drive and then goes up to 99%. On Ubuntu 9.10 x64 also the OS installs fine, but once I install drivers and restart I get a black screen.

I have never touched the fan before, but I feel it is going way too slow, and also the card feels pretty hot after a few minutes of just browsing the internet. The stickers on the bottom and side of the card are sticking off. Everest is not showing temps it just says 0c, I also installed rivatuner but didnt find where to see temps. Temps of other components seem fine. CPU and hard drives and mobo are around 35-38c idle.

I'm wondering if the PSU is not supplying enough juice anymore for the GPU fan to move fast? all other fans in my pc run wayy faster. PS: I know hard drives should not be the problem since I tested 3 already.

Thanks in advance! :)

Intel i7 920 | Thermalright 120 eXtreme / Foxconn Bloodrage x58 / OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600 / BFG GTX 260 OCX MaxCore / Xigmatek 750W Modular / Seagate 250GB 7200.10 / Lian Li PC-V1010B / ViewSonic VX2035WM 20"

Hmm... All I can really say is that at 40% fan speed my 260 feels pretty hot after just turning the computer on as well. My temps are all fine though, these cards just get pretty "hot" compared to the temperatures we normally feel.

I would think if this were an overheating issue you'd be experiencing a more gradual failure. Also, if it were overheating, I don't see why the card wouldn't overheat when you're installing windows/the drivers for the card. I really don't think this is an overheating thing. I don't have any ideas about what it might be though, sorry.

Yeah this is very wierd, do you have any other software to test temps? I'm thinking of sending it to BFG since it is still under warranty.

I don't think it's a power issue, if the card wouldn't get enough power it wouldn't even start. Then again the whole pc would probably try to start up a few times until it finally shows anything on the screen. You could check the temps with speedfan but RT shows both core and ambient temps.

Are you installing the right drivers ? I think it is more likely a software issue.

I tried speedfan and there was a temp at 51c so I guess that's the gpu temp. The problem is very annoying since I can't have an os running with the drivers :(. I'm installing the latest drivers from the Nvidia website for windows, and for ubuntu, the only drivers available from the Hardware section.

Back