• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

more nanofluid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

relttem

Registered
been a while since I posted anything here, but I have been doing some tests on our nanofluid and here is some preliminary results:

I have been working on some of my own tests of the nanofluid downstairs in my basement. I only have these results to show. I will try to upload some pictures of some of the test equipment soon. I am using a program called LabView to record my temperatures. I have a thermocouple readers made by National Instruments (Ni) that plug into my USB. I have four thermocouples per computer. I have one at the inlet of the water block, one at the out let, one inside the case hanging about 3 inches away from the radiator. I used tape and hung it from the power supply, and I have at the outlet of the radiator inside a tiolet paper spool so as to read only air coming out of the radiator. I have two identical AlienWare computers running. Everything is as identical as I could make it. I am using a third computer to run Ni and record the temps.

First off I want see what everyone thinks about our idea for a logo:

icedragontat3.jpg

This is the start-up temperature profile of just the Alienware computer running the nanofluid. IceDragon1 is the nanofluid computer. I am only showing the inlet and outlet temperatures of the water block, but you can see what the temperatures of the inlet and outlet of the radiator were when I did the screen capture. They are in the chart to the right.

lab1.jpg

These are the temperatures of both computers at the logon screen:

lab2.jpg

These are the temperatures during the start-up of Fluent. Fluent is a computational fluid program (CFD) that utilizes all the cores available - 4 in my case. The project that I am running is one of the nanofluid research projects. The fluent model had over 3 million cells. Each cell has its own system of equations (6 if I remember correctly). These are all solved simultaneously. So, it is so serious number crunching. I have 8 gigs of RAM in each system, and I believe 85% was used.

lab3.jpg

These are the temps at steady-state before I started iterating in Fluent. Boinc is also running in the background.

lab4.jpg

And, these are the steady-state temps while Fluent is running:

lab5.jpg

I will get some more photos up later.

Do let me know what you think of the logo.

Im quite interested to see the results, however the pictires are too small for me to read. Maybe host them somewhere else and post them here as a thmbnail so we can see the real file.

Logo is interesting. I know its the wing on the other side, but it just looks like a grossly overweight dragon at first glance.

Is`nt it cruel to freeze dragons?
(being cold blooded `n everything)

just seems a strange tangent for leading edge conductive coolants :shrug:

on the readings front whats the offset between machines on the distilled?

I would want to ensure the ambient temp in the room was noted and switch the tests between machines to prove consistent behaviour (no two identical builds are forced to behave the exact same)

as the results suggest though it appears to be carrying more heat... I was wondering how good it is at loosing it, does it appear to carry slightly more heat back to the system?

I would focus a little more on the basic profile of your dragon (its far wings a blur and some detail suggest it could be a distant relative of the Giraffe family)

fancy lables wont convince anyone wanting to go that step further I feel.

whats its long term stability like.
conductivity (electrical)
etc

snaps are a bit hard to read even zoomed.

nano juice
Blue - out
Green - in

normal
lime green/yellow - out
purple - in

As stated above, the bloated dgiraffgon image could use some work, and the graphs are pretty much indecipherable.

Not sure why the dragon has the background wing Down.

Put it up like the other one, and outline stuff in white. (IE like the where the wings attach to the body, put a thin white line). I use to draw a bit in black marker, it helps give the image some distinction. I found this on the interweb to show off what I am talking about. Look at the petals and the stem specifically.

I also can't read the charts, and is this a comparison of water vs nanofluid?

Attachments

• blackrose.jpg
    blackrose.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 497
I will post a color picture..that was one of our concerns with the B&W dragon. As for the ambient temp: The Alienware computers push air over the radiator from the inside out. In the graphs RadIn is the temperature of the air going across the radiator, while Radout is after. These are real-time temperature readings, so both systems were running at the same time seeing the same ambient conditions. The long term stability is very good. I will admit that if the system is off for months then, due to stokes settling, you will get some settling of the nanoparticles. But, they are so close to neutrally buoyant that while agitated they won't ever settle out. Also, the nanoparticles recipe act as a biocide, therefore no need to worry about that. Yes, this is a comparison between Nanofluid and the coolant that comes with the Alienware computers.

I will try to do the thumbnail thing. thanks for the suggestions/responses.

this is the color dragon

Ice_Dragon_cutout.jpg

heres my 2minute version of what any self respecting dragon with an audience should be doing.
Untitled.png
Anyhow I was eating database not sketching dragons.

just call it Ice coolant and your dragon troubles are over :)

I second that pointer because its what youve got to lure us away from :)
Edit: nope I already said distilled... no I stand by first pointer which I seconded... or did I just thirdeded it? :-/
distilled anyhow... not alien juice.

When I re-run the tests I will make the lines of the graph heavier, so they will be easier to read. Also, I will see if I can find out what Alienware uses for the cooling liquid. It is a major hassle getting their WC system apart - everything is sealed. And, once you have it apart it is just as hard to refill. I will work on it tho.

I will try to do the thumbnail thing. thanks for the suggestions/responses.

this is the color dragon

Er.. Might wanna go back to the drawing board on that one before CES.

Get some front legs on 'em and take away the ostrich head :p

really is a mythical beast

Ostrich head... Giraffe neck... cows body, bat wings and a Kangaroos tail... hmmm

Ostriraffeowsbatanga.... theres your product name (theyll mayhap think its german engineering at work... think ive driven past there before anyhow :shrug:)

seems the coolants ethyl something or other based and not distilled anyhow. Carnt seem to find the definitive answer anyhow.

I have a friend that works at Dell..I am going to see if he can find out. But, I think Alienware buy their cooling system from HeatSink-Something like that

In all honesty, we are quite happy with the logo, but not the dragon so much. That is why we were making it all black. We have a better artist working on the dragon now. Plus, we were a bit rushed.

i think real water cooling parts should be used so it will give a better idea to most of the water coolers out there. i understand the temps will work for that as well, but thats just my .02.

also does this stain? i seem to recall the milky white nanofuild from before did that.

+1 spawn.

I would like to see a test with something that everyone have.
Like a Swiftech Apex kit. Simple/good/cheap WC kit.

Apex with NANO.
vs
Apex with Distilled.

Both running in the same room, same hardware....... etc

I think that's a splendid idea. Send some to Skinnee!

Wait a minute...shouldn't you be finishing up that EK rad review?

I have 3 different formulas... here are the fluids included in the final coolant test from skinnee labs. I say final, only because distilled water is the standard and until a new standard comes to the table there is no point in running further coolant tests. Who knows, maybe one of these in the testing surprises me.

coolants.jpg

edit:
Hokie, I'm working on it along with DDC write up. Just finished QDC's. :)

Back