• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 memory sticks and locks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssa

Hi. I've got really strange problem. I have 2 sticks of 256Mb SDRAM installed on K7S5A and have locks really often. But if I remove one of them the system is really stable. I've tried to change these sticks to 2x128Mb but still have the same effect. It locks with any 2 sticks and works fine with one. Full configuration is :
K7S5A 3.1 rev 1.6 + Athlon XP 1600+
2x256MB PC133 SDRAM Hyindai
Leadtek GeForce2Ti 32Mb.
I've tried all combinations in Advanced Menu but nothing helps. I use 3DMark2001 to test it. But the way it never locks in Sandra2001 in Burn-In mode.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!
:)
After I read your post I thought I would put in my other DIMM and see what happens. I had had both in before, 1- 256meg and 1-128 meg Crucial PC-133, and with all the other problems I was having getting this board to settle down, I had taken out the 128meg.
After I put it in I had a few problems booting up and am still not sure they have worked their way out yet. I got to Win98 and ran a few status programs and got a BSOD and the system speaker began to tweet a steady beep. Nothing would quiet it and I ended up pressing the reset button. Then I would get no post unless I first turned the PSU off for about 15 seconds(I'm impatient) and then it would startup normally. But then if I did a restart, it wouldn't post again. Weird stuff.
This evening I turned it on after the PSU had been switched off all day and it started up as it is suppose to and I am still running with both sticks.

One thing you may try doing is setting the bios to the "optimal settings" and see if the problem goes away. Something about that setting seems to be the best for me.

Hope any of this helps and keep us 'posted' as to the progress!

same problem

I removed the second stick which is generic PC 133. I figure it has to do with poor quality memory not being able to keep up with my bus speed?

AMD 1600xp

Back