• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 1150 Motherboard with USB 3.1 Gen 2 and an M.2 Slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Alright! I finally NEED you guys for something again! :D

Some (very small number) of you may remember the saga of me getting the motherboard on ebay that looked like a BOWLING BALL had fallen on it... then getting most of my money refunded, keeping the board, and then soldering my own capacitors on it to replace the broken ones.

RIGHT! Well... now I'm getting a new movie camera (BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k)... and I *need* USB 3.1 Gen 2. (I also need the kind of reliability that my motherboard just doesn't have right now... Sometimes it might just crash for the hell of it... and only two out of the four RAM slots work.)

The problem is that most of the Socket 1150 board that have USB 3.1 Gen 2 (your Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, and your Z97 Deluxes... etc...) are INSANELY "You might as well get a new CPU and DDR4 RAM while you're at it" expensive.

...unless you guys know of one that isn't.

My camera is already going to be REALLY expensive. Then I need a $200 external SSD to go with it. So I'd ideally like to JUST swap out the motherboard and go about my day.

I even thought about just getting another GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK... but one of those in new or really GOOD condition is already like 139... and if I'm going to pay that much I might as well get what I need.

(I guess the other option would be to just replace the board with another GREAT used Z97 from that era that doesn't have USB 3.1 Gen 2 but is at least more stable than what I've got.)

If I knew I could pull it off quickly enough I'd sell my 4970k, 16GB ram, and throw in the damaged board for free if I knew I was getting a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM like the next day... but time is of the essence!

Any suggestions for my conundrum would be appreciated.

I'm not aware of any 1150 MBs with an m.2 connector. Have you considered an adapter card for a PCIe slot?

Oh there's TONS with m.2 connectors. All the ones I named above (including my GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK) have them.

But THAT isn't really a big deal for me. I mainly just want a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port. That's all I really care about.

at the time of z97 only the very highest end boards came with 3.1, even the asrock extreme9 I have rotting on the shelf, as I hunt another cpu, is only 3.0. so you might look at an x99 kit used.

at the time of z97 only the very highest end boards came with 3.1, even the asrock extreme9 I have rotting on the shelf, as I hunt another cpu, is only 3.0. so you might look at an x99 kit used.

Looks like another DDR4 board (which would mean I might as well get a brand new 8th or 9th gen 1051 board.) And what's this "socket 2011-3"?

Looks like another DDR4 board (which would mean I might as well get a brand new 8th or 9th gen 1051 board.) And what's this "socket 2011-3"?

Socket 2011-3 or 2011-v3 is the X99 chipset, the successor to X79.

I have a high-end Z97 Sabertooth Mark S board sitting on the shelf, but I think it only supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 and doesn't have an M.2 slot, and likely wouldn't be cheap as when last I looked these were going for $170-225 +shipping.

Have you used one of those? The reviews seem a bit shakey and they require power from the PSU and don't always include the proper cable... (I'm kinda dangerously close to the edge of my 450w power supply capacity). Might try it in a pinch though, thanks.

Socket 2011-3 or 2011-v3 is the X99 chipset, the successor to X79.

I have a high-end Z97 Sabertooth Mark S board sitting on the shelf, but I think it only supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 and doesn't have an M.2 slot, and likely wouldn't be cheap as when last I looked these were going for $170-225 +shipping.

Yeah... it's looking more and more like It'd be better just to step up to current gen (or 8th gen) hardware. I can get a brand new mb with USB 3.1 gen 2 for like 59 bucks... shipped. Then a new cpu for maybe 159 (i5 8400). Then the DDR4 would just be the part that hurts...

USB power is pulled from the 5V IIRC... the proper cable should be on your PSU... the image shows SATA power.

Socket 2011 and 2011-3 are for X99 and X299(v3).

EDIT: Native USB power... since this comes from SATA its mostly 12V IIRC... but still. :)

Last edited:
I have not used this particular unit but I have used ones similar for USB 3.0 add on cards. The only issue I have had in this regard is finding the correct driver files to use for the device. Often, these manufacturers or their vendors will include a driver disk that contains drivers for a wide range of similar products and there is not good documentation. But with a little trial and error you usually get it figured out.

USB power is pulled from the 5V IIRC... the proper cable should be on your PSU... the image shows SATA power.

Socket 2011 and 2011-3 are for X99 and X299(v3).

EDIT: Native USB power... since this comes from SATA its mostly 12V IIRC... but still. :)

As far as I know there is no SATA connector on any of those cards. (At least not on any of the equivalent cards I could find in Germany). There's like a plug with the proprietary connector on one end that ADAPTS to SATA... but, like I said... it isn't always included and there's no way to use the device without it.

But your point on the electricity, I guess, is that the power draw shouldn't be that big of a deal? (If it DOES come with the correct cable.)

That would be good news because I have a LOT of stuff connected to my little 450watt corsair hard drive. Most of it doesn't consume much power though... I'm actually running windows from a laptop hard drive. Then I have a solid state drive installed a GTX 960, a DVD burner, and one of those giant fans that nobody uses anymore that I forgot the name of! :D

I have not used this particular unit but I have used ones similar for USB 3.0 add on cards. The only issue I have had in this regard is finding the correct driver files to use for the device. Often, these manufacturers or their vendors will include a driver disk that contains drivers for a wide range of similar products and there is not good documentation. But with a little trial and error you usually get it figured out.

The USB 3.1 Gen 2 is a little bit different...

If your using windows 10 it has drivers for USB 3.0-3.1 Gen 2.

I primarily use Windows 7. I made another thread on here where I stopped using Windows 10 because, after the "Creator's Update" I would COMPLETELY lose boot signal when using my HDTV (have they fixed that yet?).

I primarily use Windows 7. I made another thread on here where I stopped using Windows 10 because, after the "Creator's Update" I would COMPLETELY lose boot signal when using my HDTV (have they fixed that yet?).
They have not fixed HDTV device for windows 10.

From the picture, the Ableconn USB 3.1 PCI-e adapter I linked just uses a standard SATA connector for power. If there are adapters needed it would likely be for those who have older PSUs wihtout SATA cables. The adapter would convert from molex to SATA.

Back