• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

safe voltage for DIMM on i7-920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simviatoR

So after struggling with getting my i7 stable @ 4.4ghz, I raised the DIMM voltage to 1.66 in bios, and under load it shows 1.68 in e-leet tuning utility..

is this safe? my vtt is @ 1.39 (+200mV)

According to the i7 900 series datasheet, 1.875V is the "absolute maximum" Vddq (processor I/O supply voltage for DDR3). So with that in mind, and the fact that the Uncore / VTT / QPI differential voltage should be <= .5V, max. VTT is spec'd at an absolute of 1.35V. Using ultra high speed RAM like DDR3-2000MHz normally requires a higher than max. QPI voltage of around 1.40 - 1.50V, which still falls within the .5V differential spec., but is higher than what Intel recommends. So to answer your question, yes it's safe... 1.66 - 1.35 = .31V which falls within the range of <= .5V differential between DRAM voltage and VTT. Both voltages also fall within the absolute maximum spec's.

Last edited:
According to the i7 900 series datasheet, 1.875V is the "absolute maximum" Vddq (processor I/O supply voltage for DDR3). So with that in mind, and the fact that the Uncore / VTT / QPI differential voltage should be <= .5V, max. VTT is spec'd at an absolute of 1.35V. Using ultra high speed RAM like DDR3-2000MHz normally requires a higher than max. QPI voltage of around 1.40 - 1.50V, which still falls within the .5V differential spec., but is higher than what Intel recommends. So to answer your question, yes it's safe... 1.66 - 1.35 = .31V which falls within the range of <= .5V differential between DRAM voltage and VTT. Both voltages also fall within the absolute maximum spec's.

So VTT should not be any higher than 1.35? seems kinda low.

Back