• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newb attempting to oc a Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gabsonuro

I have a dell, (YES, IT IS CONFIRMED I CAN OC ON THE MOBO.) i just ran OCCT @stock clocks and max temp on full load was 54, and minimum @full is around 45. I only want to OC to about 2.8 or 3.0 at max.

You'll want to read this, get a few programs (CPU-Z, RealTemp, and Prime95), disable a few BIOS settings (SpeedStep, C1E), and start increasing the FSB/vCore.

You need to list all of your system specs.

q6600@stock
nforce 650i
9800gt (getting a 275 on monday)
6 gig "unknown" ram according to bios.
640gb hardrive
750w PSU
vista 64

First thing you'll want to know is that the 650i chipset isn't a good OCer even for duals, I know from experience I have a P5N-E SLI 650i. It will be even worse for quads. It should be able to get the Q6600 to 3.0GHz though.

You need to find out what RAM you have, so open CPU-Z and screenshot the Memory and SPD tabs for specs. Also, how many sticks are you using? I ask b/c 6GB is an odd number for dual channel RAM.

I have 4 sticks, i just checked my mobo. First i would just like to get to 2.8 just to make sure cause this is my first OC.

cpumemory.jpg

cpumemory2.jpg

I've never heard of a Dell that offered overclocking related options in the BIOS, so I'm curious as to how it was "confirmed" you could overclock that system. The only way I know of overclocking an OEM PC like a Dell is by using a program like SetFSB or ClockGen from within the GUI, and then you would need to know what clock generator was used in order to select the correct PLL. If in fact you do have overclocking related options in the BIOS, then post all of the available options including the current settings.

What CPU cooling do you have?

Here's how I would try a jump to 3.0GHz:
Code:
**System **
CPU Freq, MHz: 3.00 GHZ
FSB Reference Clock, MHz: 1333 (This is your *stock* FSB (QDR), MHz)
CPU Multiplier: [9x]
PCle Bus, Slot 1, MHz: [100]
PCle Bus, Slot 2, MHz: [100]

**Overclock FSB & Memorv Config**
FSB - Memory Clock Mode: [Linked]
FSB - Memory Ratio: Sync Mode <--If I remember correctly "Sync Mode" = 1:1.
FSB (QDR), MHz: [1200]
Actual FSB (QDR), MHz: 1333
x MEM (DDR), MHz: ****
Actual MEM (DDR), MHz: 666

**Memory Timing Setting**
Memory Timing Setting: [Manual]
tCL (CAS Latency): 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 15
Command Per Clock: [2T]

** Advanced Memory Settings **
tRRD: [Auto]
tRC: [20]
tWR: [Auto]
tWTR: [Auto]
tFAW: [Auto]
tREF: [Auto]

**System Voltages**
CPU Core: [1.3] <--1.3v is a good starting point.
CPU FSB: [*]
Memory: [Auto] <--There's no 1.8v option on my 650i.
Chipset Voltage nForce SPP: [1.393]

**CPU Configuration**
C1E Function: [Disabled]
Execute Disable Bit: [Enabled]
Virtualization: [Disabled]
SpeedStep: [Disabled]
Frequency Unlimited: [Enabled]

Last edited:
Can you make a set up for 2.8 GHZ? i want to try that before i jump up to 3.0.
I have a stock CPU air cooler (not the Intel one that comes with the CPU) that get's the job done but is not absolutely amazing.

You should run Prime95/ORTHOS for a few minutes at stock to see how well your cooler works.

Just change the FSB to 1248MHz for 2.808GHz; the RAM should automatically change to 624MHz.

I am assuming you have a Q6600 in your Dell 630. I am planning on doing the tape mod to bump my FSB up to 1333mhz and get 3.0ghz out of it.

Most people say the Q6600 can handle temps of 71c before it gets BAD. I have some arctic thermal compound laying around and I am going to try this mod. Here is a link for reference.

original.jpg

Well, I did it but im getting 1900Core speed instead of 3000. I am wondering if the pin is not completely covered when I snapped in the proc.

My FSB is running at 1333mhz.

my proc temps are down 20 degrees celcius too. I am going to check the proc and try again. Because it goes from 1900 to 3000 back and forth.

Back