• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 OC, 3.5Ghz...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

Hey OC Community,
Many threads read, and data-mined Google to no avil! I just cannot get past a BLK of 175 for my current stable 3.5ghz, with almost any safe voltage setting. Take a look at my values (NO I AM NOT USING TURBOV TO OC!! I am just lazy to write all my settings down, but I will if you need more...) I figured BSOD 124 is more VTT and 101 is more Vcore... *i think*... all i want is 3.8 stable! should i focus on any of the other settings? IOH and those?

Lastly, i am going to "CPU only" Water cooling (DD custom) but my Radiator is delayed from Moddersmart... So, if any of you sugest voltages i could try out, please sugest max Voltages for AIR (V10), and also a Max safe voltages for Water, so i know those volts once i install my new set up and look for 4.0-4.2ghz!!!

Any and all of your elite knowlege would greatly be appriciated!

Attachments

• OC Setup.jpg
    OC Setup.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 2,369
I have the same board as you. I actually have most settings on Auto, except for the following:
CPU vcore = 1.2875v
vDimm = 1.65v (my memory spec)
QPI = 1.25v
Every other voltage setting is set to Auto.

These settings I run 24/7 @ 4.2Ghz. This is with hyperthreading ON as well.

I would also suggest disabling speedstep/turbo and clocking the multi to 21x. I also have loadline calibration enabled, and have C1E disabled. Also disable any other energy saving feature in the bios.

Last edited:
Well I'm currently figuring out the BIOS on my P6TD Deluxe which I believe is the updated version of your board and with a 920 D0. I'm using a reasonably good watercooling setup and currently on 4GHz with 1.225vcore, 21 Multiplier, BLCK of 191, RAM speed 1904MHz (G.Skill Trident). I've left HT on but turned off Speedstep which together with the 21 multiplier means that Turbo Boost is off.

Load Line Calibration is enabled and the Spread Spectrum options are disabled.

Apart from that all my settings are on Auto. Still playing with it.

I would use the BIOS for the settings rather than TurboV.

CPU vcore = 1.2875v

Mine being C0 takes more voltage and when i tested Auto earlier, for the Vcore to see what it would run, it shot up to 1.42v! to high for my liking... probably just the temperment of my specific chip... but i have not tried the setting you sugest... and i am only at 1.26 now

I'll post results!

Last edited:
I have a D0. Probably will take 1.35v or so for you to achieve 4GHz with a C0. QPI is linked to vDimm; keep them within .5 of each other and you're golden (a QPI of 1.25v is very common though). The rest is just blck and voltage.

I have 2 suggestions that you may want to try:

First, try increasing the Vcore further (past your current setting of 1.26250v). Set it to about 1.35v and work your way down while testing for stability at each interval.

Secondly, if the above does not work, perhaps it may help to decrease the multiplier to 19x and increase the BCLK. Some CPUs/motherboards don't like the 20x multiplier but work fine with 19x.

Ok heres what i got sofar...
181*21
Vcore 1.32v
QPI/DRAM 1.35 (Max safe i belive)
rest Auto
Turbo is and always turned off...
Vdroop (Load line) enabled
C1E Disabled

As of now, i am actually able to type this message! i Cinebenched it to completetion, which also is a first... now, I will Prime it all night, or until it quits before i go to bed, if it is still going in the morning, i will let it run through work, and pray that after about 16-24 hrs of Prime... it will still run!

Thankd for your sugesstions! Learning something new everyday...

Now, i just need to upgrade to a D0 for lower voltages!

Nice; I think your QPI is a bit excessive, so you can always lower it once you check for stability.

And just wait for the i9 - it'll be a good boost over the i7.

With C0 stepping you will need to go above 1.35V to get 4GHz. See my signature below.

With C0 stepping you will need to go above 1.35V to get 4GHz. See my signature below.

Can you post your settings for 3.8? or you running 4.0?

EDIT++ nm, i not only looked at your sig.. but i pressed the link ;-)
my bad!

Last edited:
So, i am stable at 3.8! finally, i guess i just got a voltage hungry chip! i need to set 1.3625v in the bios, which is 1.35 to 1.34 with the droop.

Here is the ultimate question... In the Intel spec Sheet with the processor i says 1.55v is MAX Volt on the core, but a lot of people on this and other forums say not to bust 1.35 after droop... what is the REAL answer? I know voltage (not just heat) will kill a chip over time. Once i am water cooled (VERY SOON!!) and my temps are real low, what is the max voltage recommendation for it? Even though temps will be low, my chip will still die from higher voltages sooner, right?

LASTLY! i promise.... is there a way to monitor other voltages real time, similar to CPU-Z on the Vcore, so i can see Vdroop in other voltages? short of hooking a multi-meter up... Turbo-V only lets me see the voltages i set in my BIOS, not the current voltages going through the system.

Here is the ultimate question... In the Intel spec Sheet with the processor i says 1.55v is MAX Volt on the core, but a lot of people on this and other forums say not to bust 1.35 after droop... what is the REAL answer? I know voltage (not just heat) will kill a chip over time. Once i am water cooled (VERY SOON!!) and my temps are real low, what is the max voltage recommendation for it? Even though temps will be low, my chip will still die from higher voltages sooner, right?

You certainly should not exceed the maximum Intel Vcore spec. However, I would not feel comfortable exceed 1.35v on the Vcore with my i7. I've seen people running their CPUs @ 1.4v and that's still within spec.

LASTLY! i promise.... is there a way to monitor other voltages real time, similar to CPU-Z on the Vcore, so i can see Vdroop in other voltages? short of hooking a multi-meter up... Turbo-V only lets me see the voltages i set in my BIOS, not the current voltages going through the system.

You can use HWMonitor or Everest to monitor other voltages.

Back