• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable Modem Needs Daily Reboot or More

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
My cable modem needs to be rebooted daily or when I'm disconnected from Internet after a few hours idling. It's a Motorola about 9 years old and the symptoms just started within the last two weeks. Is this indicative it needs to be replaced?

i doubt it ... but id be searching for a new flash if available .. you try fiddling with its settings ? all assuming you own the modem .. if not have your provider give you a new one

what model is it ?

or if you have 100.00 ( i know i know) you can get a new one with all the new specs

i doubt it ... but id be searching for a new flash if available .. you try fiddling with its settings ? all assuming you own the modem .. if not have your provider give you a new one

what model is it ?

or if you have 100.00 ( i know i know) you can get a new one with all the new specs

Motorola SB4100 Surfboard. I own it. It doesn't owe me anything, it's been trouble-free since Dec. 2000.

what firmware you have on it .. simple google searched returned options for new firmware

192.168.100.1 <-------- go there and see what it says

Last edited:
open up a CMD

and check

ipconfig /all

see if everythings registed and ticking over can help figure where its loosing the plot.

EDIT: when my sys has a bout of disconnect action
it shows there reverse ip info and a primary dns (toredo tunneling) which means something in my setup chain has screwed up.

if it works and registers my chosen host name appears and no primary dns info.

Last edited:
You could also load a 3rd party firmware on to your 4100, telnet in and look at the additional information that is available to you in order to narrow down what may be casing the issue.

Haven't had a chance to investigate further, no change. Once it's connected to the Internet, it does not lose the connection. Did manage a screen shot of ipconfig /all and obviously haven't posted it yet. I don't know all I'm looking at on it.

Haven't had a chance to investigate further, no change. Once it's connected to the Internet, it does not lose the connection. Did manage a screen shot of ipconfig /all and obviously haven't posted it yet. I don't know all I'm looking at on it.

Self corrected with no other intervention from me................I don't have a clue.

I had a similar problem that turned out to be my router. I replaced the router and my problems went away.

Back