• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stuck at "Loading Operating System"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wsoldier

I installed Windows 7 a few weeks ago, and randomly during startup my OS stopped booting into the OS. I get the "Loading Operating System" message and it just hangs there. I tried to recreate the MBR with bootsec the first time around to no avail, and then eventually formatted the whole drive. It's been 2 weeks and once again, I ran into the same problem.

Is this indicative of a bad drive, something funky with my BIOS/motherboard, or what? This is all new hardware except for the disk drives.

Is the drive connected via the Intel ICH10R, the Gigabyte SATA2, or the JMB362 SATA2 controller? Under the SATA Mode section of the BIOS, is the controller set to IDE or AHCI? And what have you done so far in the way of troubleshooting? For example have you run either Memtest86+, or the HDD diagnostics program from the drive manufacturer?

- Drive connected to the Intel P55 chipset controller on channel 0 (Master)
- SATA mode set to IDE
- Memtest Test #5 for 9 hours (no errors)
- WD disk diagnostic extended test (no errors)
- chkdsk
- Testdisk (rewrote partition table)
- BIOS disk/controller settings all default except boot priority (this disk set as #1)

This second time around I noticed that TestDisk identified the partition table OK but it wasn't marked as "Primary Bootable" which I thought was strange. Maybe it's nothing.

What really gets me is that this happened twice, and rebooted/started from sleep maybe 20-30 times after a fresh install before each failure.

Last edited:
Make sure to test your RAM using v4.00 of Memtest86+, and not Memtest. Also, running only test #5 isn't sufficient even though it ran for ~9 hrs without errors. Run through the whole battery of tests at the very least 3 or 4 times, or run the memory diagnostic program that's built into Win7 (type MdSched into the Start Search field).

Bumping this thread because I'm having the EXACT same problem ... except this happened after I activated Windows 7. I've tried every forseeable option in the BIOS listed above, and ran MEMTEST to no avail. Even tried switching SATA ports.

Check your PSU man. I have seen a bad PSU corupt the system hive file and other sensitive files on an HDD several times in the past which will keep you from booting.

I have seen this issue occur on the JMICRON controller + USB drives.

My solution:

1. ZAP the JMICRON and make room on the Intel OR purchase a RAID controller.
2. Purchase a new USB drive/cable/use firewire.

JMICRON is a piece of dog dirt and has no business on ANY mobo. :thup:

Back