• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9550 @ 1.36V // 4.0Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChaosInMind

Is this too high? If so any recommendations on how to lower it? LLC is off.

Currently running at 8.5x470 = 4.0Ghz

Too high? Thats not bad. But if you can lower it, always do so. How is your vdroop with LLC off? You turn it on you may be able to drop the vcore a notch...

Idle 133 / 133 / 126 /129

Prime 95 small FFT brings the temps to 180~190ish... But the side of my case is open right now and temps don't get that high in real life anyway. I noticed one core is on average 10F higher than the others on full load, I may need to re-seat my big @$$ heatsink and thermal paste.

Hehe that would be: 56 / 56 / 52 / 54

These look like my load temperatures but I'm not OCing my Q9550 quiet as hard and I'm on water :) I tend to Idle at 35-38C

You should run Prime95 Blend for at least 12hrs-18hrs and see how your temps look and make sure youre stable before calling it done.

Ok, so wait 56 idle? Thats a bit warm... You need to keep that thing around 72C load (P95 small FFT).

Actually, Idle its running about 41 / 37 / 41 / 41c

I just the side of the case back on, probably had a minor effect on temps.

I'll try dialing down the voltage when I get home from work, maybe re-seat my heatsink.

It may actually improve stability at times by lowering voltage correct? In part by lowering the temps?

In your case, yes, as you shouldnt really exceed 72C for long. If its below 72C, then no.

I just cant get the temps down enough. I turned the voltage down to 1.28 using my motherboards voltage/clocking application, the temp was still fairly unreasonable and now some of the cores are failing within just a few minutes.

Not sure if I want to re-seat the heatsink today, so I'll just throttle back my OC for now >:''(

As the guide states, you should be changing your voltages in the bios. That is permanent, unless you save a profile which is not a good idea in case the profile isnt stable. Please check out that guide bro. :)

As the guide states, you should be changing your voltages in the bios. That is permanent, unless you save a profile which is not a good idea in case the profile isnt stable. Please check out that guide bro. :)

I was finding something that seemed to work, and re-testing the temps before rebooting into bios and making perm changes.

There are lots of other settings that can have an effect on stability. Sometimes you can use brute-force (more vcore) to overcome, but if you want a cooler running system you should experiment a bit more.

I like to temporarily drop the CPU multi to 6 and work on the FSB first to make sure it's stable (P95 large fft to test). Then get my RAM where I want it since that is so closely intertwined to the FSB (large fft and memtest to test). Finally I up the CPU multi (P95 small fft to test).

NB GTL made a huge difference for me and FSB stability. Once you get the FSB/RAM stable you usually only need to adjust vcore to get the CPU stable after upping the multi.

8.5x471 4GHz 1.256v

I've found LLC-on works best. You should experiment, though.

Back