• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 970 in the works

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Intel has a new mainstream 32nm quad-core chip coming out according to FUD. Based on the naming, it will be a quad-core and not a hex-core chip. Still though, it's nice to get a non-Xeon 4c/8t 32nm chip since Xeons normally carry a premium price.

Intel plans a few new CPUs in the next quarters and now we've found out that the six-core Core i7 980X won't be the only 32nm Westmere based new high-end CPU to come in early 2010.

We still don’t know whether Core i7 970 will have six-cores as Intel is keeping its mouth shut, but we highly suspect that this might be the slower version of yet another six-core high end CPU.

If it would launch as quad core, which would make it the first 32nm quad core, but we still highly suspect that this is a six-core. Intel will probably update its plans in the next few weeks and we hope to get you updated as soon as we find that out.

It also uses a well known LGA 1366 socket and will match with X58 chipset based motherboards.

You would think that Intel would surely introduce a 32nm quad core to go along with the new hex-core at some point.

Back