Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

wow corsair h50 ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 01:54 AM Thread Starter   #1
Ekko

wow corsair h50 ?

wow this thing is 50$ is it really worth it?
it is any good?
rubbing my eyes..watercool for 50$ nah it cant be?
anyone use this before on i7?

cpu cooling: Modded Armageddon, 150mm sanace
cpu fsb: 450, 69% oc
mem bus: 540mhz 25.92%oc
ram: 4 Gig Kenisgton Hyper x 1066 @ 1081, 1.48%oc
video: Sapphire 5850, 925gpu, 21.621%oc 1200mem 16.6666%oc
video cooling: Accelero s1 rev2 & (2)Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm 133.60 CFM 3000 10% RPM
case: custom acrylic bench nothing special
Ekko is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 05:51 AM   #2
starfox101
Registered

I installed it last Sunday, very happy with it, I was having a cooling problem. two things I would like to have known about before installing. First, you have to pull the motherboard, I left everything connected ,but controller cards, and raised up the front, second big thing, I did not know about the cpu fan control. disable this. No were in the instructions does it tell you this. I found it on line while my computer was running over 90 c. I had never seen this thing. I went in the store to get a fan. Picked this up. Most of the time I read up on things before spending money.

E8600 @ 4.0 ghz 100 % prime95 62 c
starfox101 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 06:03 AM   #3
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front
Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

where can u get it for $50 first of all? Secpnd, its about as good as high end air costing the same or less.

I would check out the Front Page article on this to see for yourself: http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-...es-h50-review/

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 07:31 AM   #4
Lavacon

$50? I'd replace my GF's CM 212 with this for $50

Go Pats!
Lavacon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 07:36 AM   #5
hokiealumnus
Water Cooled Moderator
Overclockers.com Lead Editor

For $50, it's most definitely worth it. Haven't ever seen it that cheap, but if you can get it for that, you should go ahead and jump before it goes away!

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team! | New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.

xsuperbgx - "As a wise man once said: "Less talky. More clocky."" | cyberfish - "When overclocked, it's undefined behavior."
I.M.O.G. - "Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. "

\m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build
hokiealumnus is online now Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 09:43 AM   #6
QuietIce
Disabled

Ya - I wanna' know where I can get one that cheap as well ...! *drool*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
where can u get it for $50 first of all? Secpnd, its about as good as high end air costing the same or less.

I would check out the Front Page article on this to see for yourself: http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-...es-h50-review/
One thing that's not so obvious from tests, though, is the thermal mass of any water-cooling unit. For most people out there (Crunchers and Folders excepted) the CPU jumps to 100% usage for only a few seconds at a time. Any loop can take a 10 second jolt with almost zero impact on temps, resulting in a lower average temp from minute to minute, while the temp from an air cooler will jump within a second or two at most - picking up every little bump in the road, so-to-speak. That's always been one of the hidden beauties of water cooling ...

Last edited by QuietIce; 02-17-10 at 09:52 AM.
QuietIce is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 09:49 AM   #7
Drew@PSU

Heh, I'm sure most of us have spent more than $50 on a single W/C component. Worth doing as long as it's not an openbox or something, that could be bad mojo.

Laptop
: Inspiron 13
HEAT Project Infection Project Cataclysm
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country - JFK
Drew@PSU is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 09:51 AM   #8
PretzelPusher

I paid $80 for mine after tax..... I love it!!! Cleans up the case for better air flow and you can look at my sig for how it performs.

VID.................BFG GTX 275 OC2
Mobo..............Gigabyte EP45-UD3P 1.34v NB
Cooler............Corsair H50 43*Idle 68*Max
PSU................Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775 PSU
HDD................Samsung F3 1T
Storage..........250gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
OS..................Win 7 X64 Pro

3DMark06.......18166
PretzelPusher is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 09:56 AM   #9
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietIce View Post
Ya - I wanna' know where I can get one that cheap as well ...! *drool*

One thing that's not so obvious from tests, though, is the thermal mass of any water-cooling unit. For most people out there (Crunchers and Folders excepted) the CPU jumps to 100% usage for only a few seconds at a time. Any loop can take a 10 second jolt with almost zero impact on temps, resulting in a lower average temp from minute to minute, while the temp from an air cooler will jump within a second or two at most - picking up every little bump in the road, so-to-speak ...
At $50 I would buy it too. Its fine for normal usage no doubt. But if you arent overclocking, looking for the best temps anyway, why buy an $80 cooler when a $35 air cooler will do the same job (noise/bling factor sure)? Do people even notice how quickly a temp rises and falls vs the $45 difference in price? I cant imagine they would personally. Although this product works, for MY needs, its just not a product that fits.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon
EarthDog is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 10:04 AM   #10
boucher91

well where is it????lol

mcp655vario/rx480rad/swifty microres x2each
xfx 6970
2x4gig muskin 787 24 1600
mushkin callisto 60gig ssd
wd velociraptor 300
wd 1tb
seagate 1tb
sum dvd burner
case NZXT zero
boucher91 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 10:06 AM   #11
PretzelPusher

Quote:
At $50 I would buy it too. Its fine for normal usage no doubt. But if you arent overclocking, looking for the best temps anyway, why buy an $80 cooler when a $35 air cooler will do the same job (noise/bling factor sure)? Do people even notice how quickly a temp rises and falls vs the $45 difference in price? I cant imagine they would personally. Although this product works, for MY needs, its just not a product that fits.

I don't think it's the question of if they notice the difference or not. What he is saying, and I agree totally, is that the sharp spikes in heat that you get with some air cooling are dissipated with water and a more linear increase/ decrease is less harsh on our CPU's. The H50 isn't for everyone, but it has it's place for people like myself and the folks who want some of the bennefits of H2O without the hassle of filling and maintenance.

VID.................BFG GTX 275 OC2
Mobo..............Gigabyte EP45-UD3P 1.34v NB
Cooler............Corsair H50 43*Idle 68*Max
PSU................Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775 PSU
HDD................Samsung F3 1T
Storage..........250gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
OS..................Win 7 X64 Pro

3DMark06.......18166
PretzelPusher is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 10:12 AM   #12
ChinStrap

I'm happy. I installed an H50 to replace a black TRUE - installed with same fan config, 2x 1600 scythe slipstream in push/pull - 20 passes of LinX nets ~4*C higher max temp (i5 750, 20x200 @ 1.34 bios) - but overall i'm very happy with it. less stress on the motherboard and it's not as crowded on my small M3G. plus i think it looks pretty cool. (now i just need to put everything back in my mini 180p) (also, crappy cell phone pic, sry)
Attached Images

** A few of us Benchmark. You Should join us **
ChinStrap is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 11:16 AM   #13
Spawn-Inc

hell for $50 even I would consider it lol. though it wouldn't work the way i want it to. i sold my air cooler and destroyed my stock heatsink so when i have to clean my pc, i can't use it.

Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v
Spawn-Inc is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 11:19 AM   #14
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelPusher View Post
I don't think it's the question of if they notice the difference or not. What he is saying, and I agree totally, is that the sharp spikes in heat that you get with some air cooling are dissipated with water and a more linear increase/ decrease is less harsh on our CPU's. The H50 isn't for everyone, but it has it's place for people like myself and the folks who want some of the bennefits of H2O without the hassle of filling and maintenance.
I still get those spikes with water... that doesnt go away......Im just not sure what benefit at all that has. Every little bump in the road is still felt with water. The second I start P95 I go from 30-45C and then its a slow climb to 54C from there...I will admit I havent been on air in quite a while, but whats the difference if it shoots up to 50C and ends up at 60C vs shooting up to 45C and ending at 54C? Im not trying to be a tool, I honestly dont know, and seriously cant think of, any benefits that specific reason would bring to the people who would want to use this item.

And again I say, do those people notice or care about that temp fluctuation? Those that want a closed, low maitenence loop, Im guessing do not have that critical of an eye. If they truely cared, custom water would be the only way to go. I guess being an owner of one Pretzel, did you ever notice that difference or buy it to eliminate that issue? If it was such an issue with processor life, one would think that would be minimized in other ways. I dont guys, I just think that point is a non issue.

Last edited by EarthDog; 02-17-10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-17-10, 11:51 AM   #15
QuietIce
Disabled

Quote:
I still get those spikes with water... that doesnt go away......Im just not sure what benefit at all that has. Every little bump in the road is still felt with water. The second I start P95 I go from 30-45C and then its a slow climb to 54C from there...I will admit I havent been on air in quite a while, but whats the difference if it shoots up to 50C and ends up at 60C vs shooting up to 45C and ending at 54C? Im not trying to be a tool, I honestly dont know, and seriously cant think of, any benefits that specific reason would bring to the people who would want to use this item.
(emphasis added)

That IS the whole point - isn't even 5C worth it? (I've seen people spend $100 or more for smaller changes than that!) Sure, in Prime95/OCCT testing the temps will rise over several minutes and top out the same but except for Crunching or Folding (as I mentioned originally) no one's rig does that in the normal course of usage. With water the temp will jump to 45C, slowly climb to maybe 47C in an extended battle or a particularly long piece of busy video editing, then start falling back as CPU usage drops from 95-100% to it's usual level. With air cooling the temps will rise from 45C (assuming the same starting point for load) then very quickly rise to 55C (or whatever) in just a few seconds. High CPU loads for short times are a lot more common during normal computer usage than a high load for a minute or more. As such, the maximum CPU temp during normal usage (for most people) will be lower with a water loop than with air cooling ...

Last edited by QuietIce; 02-17-10 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-17-10, 11:56 AM   #16
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

5C worth it like was mentioned in this context, No. b/c the constant load temp in gaming or anything constant will likely be higher than with good air cooling anyway. So.... I still dont understand why having 5C higher 'blips' in temperature will matter to the target market.

I see now, I just dont happen to agree with its merits. As I noted on my custom water setup, there will still plenty of spikes/bumps in the road. I dont see how a 5C difference for a split second matters to anyone or could possibly considered a selling point for that product whose target market wants 'easy water cooling'. I just dont see those people giving a care in the world about a 5C difference in random transient CPU use.

Oh well. Thanks for expalining it a bit better QI!

I dont know, is my WC messed up? I still see significant differences in temps from idle to 'blip' type loads. Realtemp shows taht to me. I idle around 28-30C and just perusing the web one core may hit 43C while the others 'blip' in the upper 30s to low 40s. This happened on air as well. Water does not eliminate that at all.

Last edited by EarthDog; 02-17-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 12:02 PM   #17
QuietIce
Disabled

For those out there that aren't methodical about their OC'ing (obviously because they haven't found OCF! ) they'll see a big difference. If they never test their system long-term they'll have a high OC while running WoW or whatever because they'll never see those high spikes.

As for me, I don't care about all the temp spikes. My systems have only have one spike: ON ...!

Last edited by QuietIce; 02-17-10 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 12:06 PM   #18
Spawn-Inc

Quote:
5C worth it like was mentioned in this context, No. b/c the constant load temp in gaming or anything constant will likely be higher than with good air cooling anyway.
be higher with water? or am i missing something?

Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v
Spawn-Inc is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 12:07 PM   #19
boucher91

Quote:
As for me, I don't care about all the temp spikes. My systems have only have one spike: ON ...!
amen thats where the difference really is

mcp655vario/rx480rad/swifty microres x2each
xfx 6970
2x4gig muskin 787 24 1600
mushkin callisto 60gig ssd
wd velociraptor 300
wd 1tb
seagate 1tb
sum dvd burner
case NZXT zero
boucher91 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-17-10, 12:08 PM   #20
EarthDog
Researches Meritless
LIES for the Front

Overclockers.com Editor
First Responders

With the H50 single fan (stock) setup, yes. With good higher end air coolers (TRUE, Tuniq120, Prolim Mega, Xigmatek on the cheap side). Am I mistaking? Looks like Chinstrap showed a 4C increase even with Push/pull over his TRUE...

Quote:
I'm happy. I installed an H50 to replace a black TRUE - installed with same fan config, 2x 1600 scythe slipstream in push/pull - 20 passes of LinX nets ~4*C higher max temp (i5 750, 20x200 @ 1.34 bios)
Custom water though is of course a different story.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop