• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing A Raid1 Harddrive How To

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2therock

Registered
Replacing A Raid1 Harddrive How To

This post is to help add to the search capabilities here because I failed to get a good search hit and hope this helps others find this in the future.
I did get plenty of help from members when posting.

My Details. Gigabyte UD3P motherboard R4 BIOS, Q6600 CPU, Western digital (640GB Black) WD64001AALS HDD's in RAID1 on the on-board Intel ICHR10 controller. Vista x64.

I had a RAID1 drive die. I could only tell by the "Error Occured" message on boot screens. It ran fine. I swapped it out with the good one's board port, tried it on another PC. I swapped cables. DEAD. I ordered a new one.

The boot screens and BIOS "Ctrl + I raid config screens shown it as "Degraded" and "Not Bootable".

I look at it the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Console. (Your machine should have this installed already. If not you should get it.)
I see the info screen below.

raiderror.jpg

I make a backup of the running HDD and the new drive arrives.

It was as easy as pulling it from the anti-static bag and placing it directly into the PC.

The initial BOOT screens show it as there now but not as a RAID array member continuing to boot fine. No errors.

I look at the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Console again and get the info screen below. Note how it has added the new drive to the list and the old one still listed as missing in a 3rd row.

raiderror2.jpg

So I sit and wonder what the deal is. I look in "My Computer" and there is only one drive listed as usual for a RAID1 setup.
I decide to reboot and look at how the BIOS sees it. I now see it listed as a RAID member and "Bootable" and hit Ctrl+I just to look it over and then let the machine boot to windows making NO changes.

When I return the same info was still listed in the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Console, BUT, the door still being off my case I could hear my HDD's were grinding away more than the usual on a restart. I left it alone for a couple hours and upon return it was silent again and the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Console had updated the info seen below.

HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY, Good to Go!:rock:

raiderror3.jpg

Back