• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can connect to LAN but not internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I think I might have a hardware problem, and I think my motherboard is dying, but just in case it's software I'm posting here.

Over the weekend, when I was out of town, something happened and my machine was no longer able to access the internet. It doesn't matter if I'm in gentoo, or windows XP (or I boot of an ubuntu flashdrive). I can connect to the router (hardwired) and I can open the router settings, however my machine can not access the internet. I can have the router ping the outside world, and other machines work fine on the internet, it is only mine that is having issues.

I have checked all the router settings, nothing is different, the access restriction is disabled. Does anyone have any other ideas?

What makes me think it might be hardware is a month or so ago I had this same problem, however leaving the machine unplugged overnight solved it (after I tried everything else). This time no joy, also now if I unplug the psu, it clears the CMOS. I checked the cmos battery and it said 3.3 volts on my multimeter, however I bought a new cmos battery (only $3) yet the problem persist.

Can you ping or run a tracert on an outside IP address (Google = 209.85.225.147) to see where it gets hung up? Doing this on a known external IP address eliminates the DNS server from being an issue.

What bothers me is it persisted through two operating systems. Do you have a NIC you can throw into this machine to see if it works?

Can you ping or run a tracert on an outside IP address (Google = 209.85.225.147) to see where it gets hung up? Doing this on a known external IP address eliminates the DNS server from being an issue.

What bothers me is it persisted through two operating systems. Do you have a NIC you can throw into this machine to see if it works?

I do not have any spare nics atm. I have a ton of PCI nics but they are not in my possession and a 2 hour drive away. If I run traceroute or ping any ip it's a no go. I will try the ip you gave me, but I tried a few ip I knew but they weren't google (which is a pretty much 100% guarantee to be good)

Have you tried connecting directly to the modem?

I have not, I will, and I'll also try a different network port on the router.

Can you ping anything on the WAN by IP from your PC? Try the address 4.2.2.2, it's a WAN DNS server. If yes, you probably have a DNS problem. If no, you might have a default gateway problem. Run ipconfig /all from a command prompt and verify that your default gateway address matches that of your router.

very strange. how do you have your computers configured? do all of your computer receive ip addresses via DHCP from your router or are they all manually configured with IP addresses?

if it is DHCP, have you tried to manually set the ip address and such?

Well I had replied to this, but either I forgot to send it or something happened. I think I've fixed the issue, I've cleared my DNS cache and now I can connect again. Very weird, we will see if this lasts.

Actually I didn't clear the dns cache in gentoo yet it works fine. (I had been bouncing between windows and gentoo to see if anything on any os would work)

Last edited:
Back