• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with monitoring my network.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Younglin

Is there a way for me to see how much of network is being taken up by a single computer? Without being on it that is?

My two sisters share my wireless and I need to find a way to see how much of the network there using. ( not sure the proper term. How much bandwidth there using I suppose?)

My router doesn't tell me, so I need a way to check from my computer. Is there a program that will allow me to do that?

No, you have to measure it from the router, since their traffic should never touch your computer.

Depending on the firmware on your router you can monitor the bandwidth they're using, and how much is being allocated per mac address.

You can use APR poisoning and have the traffic routed through your computer temporarily and take samples of the bandwidth being used. Target each computer separately or both at the same time if you want to see individual use or total use. Make sure that its YOUR network you do this on cause its probably illegal to do it on someone elses network.

What router do you have? It may be possible to flash to a 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt which would allow you to do what you want.

You can use APR poisoning and have the traffic routed through your computer temporarily and take samples of the bandwidth being used. Target each computer separately or both at the same time if you want to see individual use or total use. Make sure that its YOUR network you do this on cause its probably illegal to do it on someone elses network.

Excellent suggestion.

That is what I do on my home server. I have Backtrack running in a VM on my Server sniffing/filtering all traffic on my home network.

There are some good guides online and Youtube videos about how to use Ettercap. Google is your friend.

No, you have to measure it from the router, since their traffic should never touch your computer.

This is incorrect, most snmp agents will report speed when queried from a host. Try Cacti for example. (for windows you will have to configure it to accept snmp queries)

Back