• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X6 Bandwagon..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheQuadFather

im a little late to the X6 bandwagon, i never worked out, will the six core chips work with ANY am3 socket? because ive heard they only work with the newer 8** chipsets, if this isnt the case and they are good on any am3 socket will it work on my 785G asus Board? thanks...

There are speculations and some valid sources saying that these CPUs will work with DDR2. They will work with the old 7 Series Chipset, but will require a BIOS update.

yeah thanks for your fast replys guys ive also read about the bios update, i see no reason why it wont psyically work..

The bios see's it as a quad core and doesn't use the additional 2 cores. ( I think. Again just an article I read on the net)

suprisingly i dont play games, i do ALOT of work on my systems and quite a bit of folding at the same time, i was thinking 2 quad cores would improve this, but they seem so slow, i mean 130 quid for 1 chip at 2.3ghz??

If you are looking for a powerhouse setup, might as well do a Magnycore setup. Those things pack a huge punch.

I'm somewhat amused that we have Tri-core (as in triple) and Quad-core (as in quadruple), and then Six-core. Did they think Sex-core (as in sextuple) would be bad marketing or something?

suprisingly i dont play games, i do ALOT of work on my systems and quite a bit of folding at the same time, i was thinking 2 quad cores would improve this, but they seem so slow, i mean 130 quid for 1 chip at 2.3ghz??
Seems like a 3.0-3.2 GHz hexcore would be about the same and cost less?
I'm somewhat amused that we have Tri-core (as in triple) and Quad-core (as in quadruple), and then Six-core. Did they think Sex-core (as in sextuple) would be bad marketing or something?
Sex works for me! LOL!

But "hex" is just as valid and is already used in compuspeak ...

Last edited:
magny core sounds good, opterons clocks and HT link speeds are quite slow tho, they also only suppost server ddr2 memory, which maxed out at 667mhz standard, can dual socket systems be easily overclocked?

magny core sounds good, opterons clocks and HT link speeds are quite slow tho, they also only suppost server ddr2 memory, which maxed out at 667mhz standard, can dual socket systems be easily overclocked?
Motherboards on dual-socket systems usually don't have the BIOS tools to overclock well. Nobody OC's a server, which is what most if not all dual-socket boards are built for ...

Back