• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

brass ore copper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michael westen

hi is there a big diverents between brass and copper for heat transfer

anyone no somting a bout this have bin looking for hard data but dint vind anything on it

and brass is a hole lot easy'r to work whit then copper but dont want to use it if there is a diverents whit copper

greetings michael

Brass is a bad choice

Thermal Properties of Materials
Thermal Conductivity, W/cm-K
Metals
Aluminum 2.165
Beryllium 1.772
Beryllium-copper 1.063
Brass 70% copper, 30% zinc 1.220
Copper 3.937
Gold 2.913
Iron .669
Lead .343
Magnesium 1.575
Molybdenum 1.299
Monel .197
Nickel .906
Platinum .734
Silver 4.173
Stainless Steel-321 .146
Stainless Steel-410 .240
Steel, low carbon .669

if you plan to make something out of brass you may as well make it out of foam or clay - it's a crap conductor, copper is soft and can be worked with easilly so use it (please)

Copper is much harder to work than Al - it gums up your tools if it gets hot (which it does really easily). Also it's heavy. It does have a major advantage over Al in that copper is really easy to solder, Al is not. And of course copper is great for heat conduction.

tnx for the info Silversinksam even do i am not happy whit the anser hehehe :)

this is going to be a hard job then
wanted to make a block whit a lot of 1 1/2 mm groove's in it so it will have a huge surface area
will have to be very carefulcareful whit the machine that the mill wont break and use a lot of cooland on it when working on it

have a look of what i am going to make
http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64047

Intraveinous

soft metal's need a lot of rpm like for aluminum you need 4 times the rpm then you need for steel have to look in my books someware in the basement howe muths copper need's it hase bin 16 years a go wen use them (DAMN i am getting old LOL)

greetings michael

Intraveinous said:
How fast is a good bit speed? 150-200 rpm? Slower? Faster? Any special bit for cutting into copper?
peace
John

Depends on what you're doing to it - different sizes and types of tool need different speeds.

Back