• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec = CRAP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MotzKopf

Registered
I've had it. I've had 3 Antec PSUs over the last 6 years, and they all share one thing in common, they're all dead. None of them were overloaded, each system was well below their rated load capacity.

1) NeoPower 480 - Ah she was a beauty, queen of her day. But alas after her warranty passed - >POP!< - and she was no more. That little mini explosion actually blew a transistor right off the circuit board.

2) SmartPower 350 - She seemed pretty smart at the time, just the thing to power my daughter's P4D. Again a nice modular PSU, so I thought. The one day the LED fans started to slower and dimmer, then brighter and faster, and so on. Hmmm ... that's no good. Should have known better, but after turning it off until cold, I turned it back on again. This time there was a bigger - > P O P ! < - which included a burst of flames, and cloud of smoke. When the dust settled, there was 1 dead Antec PSU, and 1 dead 80GB boot drive. (I sent the drive to i365 for evaluation. I figured it was probably a simple electronic fix and shouldn't be too bad. Well I was right it was a simple fix, but they wanted to charge me $700, and it was going to take 3-4 weeks. I said no thanks.)

3) SmartPower 500 - I bought this bi*ch to replace the Neo-Powersupply that threw up a transistor. My wife had to have her computer up immediately, so I had to pay a premium for said bi*ch from Staples. At the time the SmartPower 350 was still alive, so I figured it should be a safe bet in a pinch. Well two years later, she joined her lesser sibling in the trash heap, hopefully where that dude with horns lives. But unlike her older relatives, she just went quietly, though emits a high pitched whining sound, when you flip her switch.​

I thought ah, it's just a PSU failure, no worries. Yea, right. Sure enough after I installed my brand new OCZ Fatal1ty 550 (yea that's right, no more Antec in my house), my boot drive didn't show up in the BIOs. NOOOOOOO! Checked all my connections, moved it to another bus, put it on it's own power cable, then it was confirmed after plugging it into my APRICORN USB SATA adapter. My wife's relatively new 7200.12 Barracuda was pronounced dead.

What confuses me is that I have two 7200.8 Barracudas in the same system RAID 1, and they are both unscathed. Thank god, as they are all my families digital pictures. Maybe 7200.8's are just more rugged, 7200.12's are much smaller.

So there's my tail of woe, a cautionary tail for all other casual enthusiasts. Have a bulletproof backup strategy, and in my humble opinion stay as far away from Antec PSUs entry-level Antec PSUs as possible.

edit

Bahamas_beach.JPG

Can't have a post without a picture....

Last edited:
I have the Antec TruePower Quattro 850W and I haven't had a problem with it yet.
2 years of running and it being in 3 separate rigs (old rig, backup rig and my current rig) and it's still performing fine. Voltages haven't changed since I first brought it.

I think you've just had some seriously bad luck :(

SmartPower series were flawed. Infamous Fuhjyyu capacitors leaking/bulging.
NeoPower should last more. It's a Seasonic. Probably bad luck for you.
FYI actual Antec's are very good PSU's. Their flagship Signature (Delta) followed by TP New (Seasonic), CP (Delta), Quattro (Enhance) and EarthWatts (Delta).

Sorry you have bad luck with bad models.

Sorry to hear about your power supply issues with Antec. I heard that they do make good equipment and PSUs despite your troubles :-(

If you want to try a different PSU, I highly recommend Corsair. They are among the best in the business.

My 650 TX has a lot of power (650W) and the cables are well wrapped and manageable. In additon, the single 12V rail is a plus.

On newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=Corsair 650Tx

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your PSU troubles. =( I also had one Antec go bad on me fairly soon, but their RMA procedure went by smoothly and fast.

I just stick with Corsair now.

Mine is only 2 years old, but you definitely picked some really really low ranking supplies (the last 2). That series is on my "stay away from" list...

Check my sig for PSU's to buy, or to stay away from...

Anyone with an Antec more than 4 years old?

That would be me.
I don't have it here but it's an old non modular 450W and it's still holding up strong in an ooold backup rig (p4 with an old AGP card :D)

I don't bother testing the voltages on it but I have no reason to suspect it's borked at all.

I just replaced my 6+ year old Antec Tru Control 550. It still functions and has had a hard life. The 1st 3years it was in my water cooled P4 folding 24/7 (it is my avatar). Then it took a year off when my MB died but then went into my OC'd e8400/HD3750 that also ran 24/7 tho not folding but most nights was spent converting HDTV programs to xvid untill I got my i7 rig. It still was running 24/7 bit only as a file server and recording HDTV, it has 3 tuners.

One thing I noticed when I took it out of my P4 rig is that the bottom fan had died and I never did replace it.

Some antecs are bad but some are good. Is it unreasonable for customers to complain and condemn Antec? Is it the customer's responsibility to discover whether this is a good model or one which is destined to fail? Does this mean antec is a good company?

IMO, with so many bad PSUs and occasional good ones, I don't trust Antec as a company anymore. On the contary, corsair's PSUs are generally good, with some exceptional ones, like hx850. But no particular Corsair model that I know of is as bad as the worse Antec. Sure, there are some QC problems with corsair PSUs, but that's once in a blue moon, and it does not apply to the entire series.

Some antecs are bad but some are good. Is it unreasonable for customers to complain and condemn Antec? Is it the customer's responsibility to discover whether this is a good model or one which is destined to fail? Does this mean antec is a good company?

IMO, with so many bad PSUs and occasional good ones, I don't trust Antec as a company anymore. On the contary, corsair's PSUs are generally good, with some exceptional ones, like hx850. But no particular Corsair model that I know of is as bad as the worse Antec. Sure, there are some QC problems with corsair PSUs, but that's once in a blue moon, and it does not apply to the entire series.

It is up to the consumer to know what they are buying. Is it Neweggs job to tell you that a Corsair PSU is much better than the more expensive Tagan? As a system builder, I go out of my way to explain to my clients why the Antec EarthWatts or Corsair PSU is better than the $20 garbage that someone else in town would sell them. The point the members are trying to make, is that if the OP had done a little bit of research before buying those bad PSU's, he wouldn't have a reason to be bad mouthing Antec. I have sold a lot of Antec PSU's over the couple of years that I have been in business, and even have one in my rig. The reason that I can do this with a clear mind, is because I do some research before I decide to sell it. Every company has had their bad apples, and because Antec has a few models of PSU's that have problems is no reason to write them off. Look at Crucial with the D9 fiasco. Does that make them a bad company? Does the counterfeit i7 issue that plagued Newegg make them a bad company?

To be honest, I think that a PSU that lasts as long as the warranty has done it's job. I have a Neo 500 in the quad rig in my sig. It came with a 5 year warranty, and has been running a rig that folds 24/7 for a little over a year without a hiccup. Even with the rig at a 100% load on both the CPU and GPU, I can put my DMM on the 12 volt rails, and still find them within specs. It is uninformed consumers that keep companies like Powmax in business.

Edit: I have seen Oklahoma Wolf (the king of PSU reviews for jonnyguru.com) post up a few times about the OCZ Fatal1ty PSU's having some problems with high ripple, which can cause some problems for your VRM's and other parts on your GPU and mobo. I have tried searching for the posts, but can't seem to find them now. He may be in shortly to chime in as well. Some of his highest rated PSU's happen to be Antecs as well.

Last edited:
IMO, with so many bad PSUs and occasional good ones, I don't trust Antec as a company anymore.

They have more decent ones than bad ones these days.

Edit: I have seen Oklahoma Wolf (the king of PSU reviews for jonnyguru.com) post up a few times about the OCZ Fatal1ty PSU's having some problems with high ripple

That would be the GameXStream aka FSP Epsilon units.

That would be the GameXStream aka FSP Epsilon units.

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out, OW. I tend to try to point others toward Corsair, Antec, and the like more often anyway. My wifes rig has an OCZ StealthXStream 500, which is reportedly the same OEM as the Silverstone Strider 500W, so the whole OCZ line can't be judged as poor quality based on one model set. They do own PCP&C now, after all.:p

I have an old 350w, 480w, and 550w all of which are still working perfectly. The 350 has been chugging along in a p4 northwood rig for my grandma for nearly 7 years, the 480 was been in 3 of my rigs and now and is now powering an AMD x5200 backup comp. The 550 spent 3 years in my main comp and is now powering an x4 640 computer for my good ol' mom.

I can't complain, sounds like baaad luck for you!

SmartPower series were flawed. Infamous Fuhjyyu capacitors leaking/bulging.
NeoPower should last more.

I think the early NeoPowers also used Fuhjyyu caps.

Maybe you got bad power in your house?

Well, the Smartpower units were known to have cap problems, but that's a good point. A friend of mine used to have power supplies die several times a year. After about a half dozen units die (of various brands) he got a line conditioner (not a UPS and not a surge strip) and his problems went away.

Back