• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't remember where I saw it (I know I know, screenshot or it never happened), but I read a post on a forum saying how somebody reached 4.6GHz on liquid. Must be a pretty beefy motherboard to do that, I would think. I also wouldn't think that lower than 1.6v - 1.63v would power such an OC (stable at least), which the 965 would not fare with voltage that high. So as for the validity, I don't know.

I don't think it's been done on air (at least not much over 4.0), though I'm not 100% sure of that. I think all I've seen in the 4.1+ GHz range have been on water ...

Hello,

Well this cooler is still relatively new but im sure that this cooler can stabalize a 4.0ghz OC. i might get this but--no need yet since im using scythe mugen 2. But heres the video of the cooler:

(with techno)

(review)

(overclocking review but using an intel i7-920

Yeah, you'd definitely be fine with the Noctua NH-D14. It's among the world's top 6 coolers right now. I'm running a Zalman CNPS9900ALED (not among the top 6, but still $70) that runs quiet and keeps my 4GHz OC to 33C idle and topped out at 53C load (Prime95, 12 hours), so your higher rated Noctua NH-D14 will do that if not better.

its certainly possible. some might only need 1.47-1.5v. so temps under air would be in the mid to high 50s depending on ambients.

I'm running at 4.1ghz (1.55v) on a Sunbeam Core Contact. Prime 95 temps get out of control after ~45 mins, but I'm usually at mid 40s gaming and don't go past ~52c benchmarking. I've got water cooling parts on the way to see how much farther I can take this chip.

Obsidian is in the OCZ value line, not premium. There's nothing wrong with OCZ RAM in general. My OCZ Plats (Platinum) run great and I expect the Black Edition RAM will be even better when I get a chance to try it out ... :)

i bought the ran at tigerdirect i asked for the top line sh*TT and they gave me back what should i buy the money wasnt the issue

Just got a chance to check out my 965, is this the latest or best version?

965_G.jpg

Just got a chance to check out my 965, is this the latest or best version?

965_G.jpg

ya that software is okay only if your viewing the specs and ram. The temp indicators on the easyturner are unreliable, there is probably +/- 5-10C margin of error. I recommend staying with coretemp or HW monitor.

For extreme memory options you should post a thread in the Memory section.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Personally, I like OCZ and Corsair but I wouldn't know which model to get for extreme clocking. All I do is water cooling and 24/365 SETI stable - no benching, no extreme cooling. OCZ Plats and Corsair XMS need good case flow since they don't have an extended heatsink (but they fit under those monster air coolers! ;)) and I've also heard Patriot Vipers are good. I'm sure the Memory Experts will disagree with those choices for extreme performance - but they're not built for extreme, just very good everyday ...

and I've also heard Patriot Vipers are good.

I've got 8GB of Viper sticks (DDR2), and they are pretty good at 5-5-5-15. I'm going to try 4-5-4-15 once my BitLocker is done encrypting my hard drive....11 hours so far and only 22% completed. Hah. But back on topic, Patriot does toot it's own horn when considering the Viper series as an OC'ing module. We'll see how merited that horn is once they're put to the test.

I tend to run DDR2-800 with tight timings, which runs my apps better then higher speed, looser timings. My XMS and Dominators run 460-470 MHz at CAS 4 before wimping out on me. OCZ Plats tend to go just over 450 MHz at CAS 4. In case you hadn't guessed I buy DDR2-800CL4 RAM. :) I'd like to hear how your Vipers do - all I've had is sporadic confirmation on them ...

Back