• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you use an antivirus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

I was just wondering if in general the people on here even use an antivirus? for the past few years i just havent used them and havent had any virus issues
.:shrug:...are these paid security programs all a scam?
i mean... isn't the only way you can get a virus, by downloading suspicious files? from popups and such? or am i missing something?

I install it on a PC when I am cleaning drives for clients. I do not run it personally. The family computer has MSE installed on it though. HTPC might also since it doubles as a File server I forget off hand though.

Generally no though.

An interesting recent discussion regarding the pros and cons of using AV software may be found here.

We're constantly connecting and transferring files from USB memory drives, external HDDs and USB-attached internal HDDs from customers for analysis and repair. As a result, certain systems are exposed to a myriad of viruses, so we run MSE and Malwarebytes on those machines.

USB memory drives and drive-by downloads are by far the most common infection vectors we see these days. Recent issues with both Firefox and IE in conjunction with recent SQL injection attacks against high-profile websites mean that you can still be exposed even with the most careful surfing habits.

That said, IMHO, the efficacy of free programs available today (such as MSE) is such that paying for an AV is not really a necessity.

I'll do a system scan maybe once a year, but I haven't really used an a/v program in over a decade.

I havnt had an antivirus installed in YEARS and not one virus. If you watch what you download or where you plug your thumb drives into (which isnt hard at all) its very hard to get a virus.

I will run a malwarebytes scan like once every six months, especially now that im running win 7 and my OS installs last for tons longer than they did on xp... xp there was no point in doing scans as id reinstall at least every 6 months of not every 4.

No need. Every file I download I open in hex editor and expect every bit just to be sure it's safe. Never had an issue.

I don't think I've ever ran an antivirus program on my own computers, but I've installed things like avast! on other people's machines. I'll scan my girlfriend's machine occasionally but she's got really good browsing and safety habits as well.

Like nd4spdbh2 said, now that I'm on Windows 7 I'll use some scans on my own system. On XP and earlier there was never any point since I reformatted so often.

I've run avast for a while. I've never had any issues where I feel the need for it but since I'm not the only one who used this PC I go with the better safe than sorry approach. Plus since there are good free options available I figure why not. If I had to pay for it I wouldn't use one.

I run Avast!
I see it as more of an Airbag type program, I hope to never use it and if I need it maybe it wont save me completely, but still better to have one just incase.

I'm running Linux distros as my main OS on all my computers, I only have windows on my gaming rig, and I only use it for gaming.

At the first sign of trouble, I just format the sucker :)

I always installed it and since its pretty much self automated after, its kinda set and forget so why not.

+1 For Avast. It isn't that intrusive, and it offers good protection. If you run it in silent/gaming mode like I do, then you get better performance as it doesn't take up too many system resources. Plus, its free! And who doesn't like freeware?! :)

i only keep antivirus on a single computer and it is a windows server 2008 vm. i use clamwin (clamav for windows). it doesn't actively scan but i just use it if i happen to have a file i am unsure about. i just watch what i download and that takes care of the problem. common sense is the best antivirus.

*edit: i typically run some form of linux unless i am gaming or in my virtual machines. with the vms, i typically don't even touch them so i am not really worried about them getting infected anyway. hard to get infected when you don't login to them.

Last edited:
Absolutely I use anti-virus software. My favored choices are:

Windows
Free: Avast
Paid: Kaspersky

OS X
Free: ClamXav
Paid: Sophos

I use and recommend Avast for a home environment and Kaspersky for an office environment, due to Avast's licensing restrictions for business use of the free version. I think Avast is the best free AV I've used on Windows. On OS X Sophos is a far better anti-virus solution then ClamXav IMO, but Sophos costs money. On OS X its not too critical to have it anyway unless you are in a mixed OS environment with Windows-based machines. The main thing I don't like about ClamXav is that it cannot clean an infected file (such as an infected Word doc) whereas Sophos can.

Nope, I avoid dubious sites and don't download games. Presto, no need for antivirus.

Back