• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you use an antivirus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope no AV at all,, I use linux and Windows but never let anyone touch my computer.
I have NEVER had a problem exept for maybe an ocasional popup (in this case the one that says "your computer is infected!!" (not!))

I typically don't. However if there are certain files I want that may seem a little shady I do download one to scan it, then uninstall afterward. That's a very rare occurrence though.

The only time that i use anti virus is when i am fixing a computer that is infected.

you can have the safest browsing habits in the world, and you will still get a virus.

The 'new wave' of virus infections on machines is coming through multimedia. PDF, Flash, Advertisements, etc. Things that AV software isn't designed to scan.

In other words, not using an Antivirus on a PC is like driving without a seatbelt. You are fine 99% of the time. the 1% that you need it? Well... you get hurt much worse.

I'm running Avast! 5 and haven't had an issue with any virus, malware, spyware, etc. If your running windows then you NEED an antivirus. FYI: Just for fun, my computer teacher at school did a clean install of windows xp (a few years ago) and plugged it into the network. No one used it or even setup internet explorer or anything. He just booted it up and let it sit for a few hours. Then installed norton antivirus and it found hundreds of viruses. BTW: The had firewalls and web site blockers on their internal network.

you can have the safest browsing habits in the world, and you will still get a virus.

The 'new wave' of virus infections on machines is coming through multimedia. PDF, Flash, Advertisements, etc. Things that AV software isn't designed to scan.

In other words, not using an Antivirus on a PC is like driving without a seatbelt. You are fine 99% of the time. the 1% that you need it? Well... you get hurt much worse.

QFT. The safest browsing habits also don't help when you plug in your buddy's USB drive...

I took off AVG from my machine just the other day. My field requires me to work with metasploit and other pentesting programs. I was getting tired of AVG having a heart attack every time I worked on a project. So I just removed it.. lol

I am running Win7 and use MSE. I think it is foolhardy to run without protection. Even the best sites get viruses once in awhile. You never know what you might run into.

With how small MSE is resource wise and how fast it installs, why not, better safe then sorry, better to have some protection then potentially spread viruses.

Sure you can browse safe blah blah blah, but what happens when that website you trust gets compromised and infects your system

run linux and only keep windows around until valve gets on top of things and ports the steam engine to linux =) rumors say it should be soon.

I'm giving MSE a try right now. I'm going to see if I can train it to ignore my security tools that get picked up as viruses. AVG was horrible at that, so we'll see.

I run Panda Global protection on all my Windows rigs. I really only "need" it because my wife is not very smart about her surfing. She is often downloading stupid little games from questionable sites... irks me off something fierce - but since she did basically buy me my new rig I Kinda have to let her use it. Ah the hoops we jump to keep the peace.:shrug:

I was just wondering if in general the people on here even use an antivirus? for the past few years i just havent used them and havent had any virus issues
.:shrug:...are these paid security programs all a scam?
i mean... isn't the only way you can get a virus, by downloading suspicious files? from popups and such? or am i missing something?

There are a million ways to get a virus.

But *I* am far more efficient than any antivirus program.

It's easy for me to tell when I have a virus and easy for me to get rid of once I notice.

I do pretty regular backups and I only frequent websites I trust. So if I *have to* go to a website I'm not familiar with, I start my virus search right after.

Once you've reached a certain level of proficiency... an anti-virus is useless.

I'm surprised by these results. I used to not use one but I certainly do now. I've gotta side with TollhouseFrank. I rarely (like once a year) get a virus, and for that one time I'm glad I already have stuff installed.

Yes, hey you never know. I will not win the lottery but i will definatly get a virus:)
I think Symantec 2010 is a great product.

Back