• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bugger

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jorlain

I was sitting here happily browsing Newegg putting together a build for a client. Then all of a sudden...

Nothing. PC turns off like someone pulled the plug. I was about ready to yell at the dog, thinking he unplugged something. I checked the cords - yup, all good. Hit the power button... Nothing.

Unplug everything let it sit for a minute. Plug it all back in and, oh, yeah, the motherboard lights turned on. Hit the power button... Nothing. Check it out, motherboard lights are out.

Of course my first thought after checking all the cords is that the PSU went out on me, and that's exactly what happened. No pops, no crackles... Nothing. When I plug it in, though, the lights in the room dim. :shock:

It's just crazy. A TruePower New 750, on day 40, dying. However, my inferior Ultra X-2 750 is still going strong, and is now powering this rig after harvesting it from it's elder.

I sent in an RMA request about 30 minutes ago and definitely was not afraid to let them know how disappointed I was after all of the praise reviewers were throwing their way.

It's just sad. Back before I knew any better (8+ years ago), the power supplies that came free with $20 chassis lasted longer than this! :bang head I mean seriously... I understand DOAs happen. But I don't see any reason why a unit would run for over a month (Of course, right after the Newegg RMA policy) and then just die for no apparent reason?

Anyone else have instances like this that just seem profoundly dissatisfying?

Yeah, Sadly it happens, My wife's rig died suddenly 6 months after I built it, Corsair HX520 was the culprit, Even if you use quality stuff it can bite you once in awhile. Corsair was prompt about replacing it. We have 3 computers in the house that get used alot so I keep a spare PSU around for such emergency's.

Well... I got my power supply back. Same model TP-750, though obviously a replacement as the serial numbers do not match.

I pull it out of the box, and examine it. Everything looks a-ok! Shut down my PC, pull out the crappy Ultra X2, and put the Antec in. During cable management, it dawned on me that I should test the unit to make sure it works before I start in with zip ties.

Hook everything up, fire it up... Fans spin up, lights come on... for about 1/2 a second. Turns off. Won't turn back on. Same exact issue I had with the other one.

Now I'm just mad. They expect me to pay another $10 to ship it back to them so they can send me another one. What if that one is DOA, too?

I don't even know what to do at this point. They don't offer refunds, and I don't want this piece of crap anymore. Normally I'd just buy myself a better unit (Corsair, anyone?) while waiting to finally get back a working RMA, but I'm flat broke due to taking an unpaid (for the first 30 days) internship. I had enough saved up to pay rent, and that's about it, heh.

I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do.

Jorlain, There is an Antec rep that is a member of the forums, I believe his member name is Ante Rep, I would send him a PM and see if he can get something done for you.

I did, actually. I was finally able to get in touch with them. They sent UPS to come pick it up, and then cross shipped a new one. They said they tested the new one to make sure that it was working before they shipped it, so here's hoping.

This second time around has been a lot more pleasing than the first. We'll see how it all turns out on Monday when I get the PSU.

Got the new unit, and it's working flawlessly. Yay!

Got an email from the RMA department and they are saying the PSU I sent them back from the original RMA works fine. Not sure how, or what happened, but it didn't work in two separate rigs that I tested it in. :shrug:

I'll continue to work with them on it, though. Maybe it's a compatibility issue with something.

Back