• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Exactly what Standby does

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I'll just start out with a little rant, then let you guys see my screenshot from this morning...
Well, lately my parents have been sleeping with the computer, and every night sticking it into standby mode.

Good and bad of the situation:
Bad: Times are increasing because the computer goes into standby. This means my output is dropping even further :(

Good: Because of the format I did recently, my average CpF values dropped from 7 to 5, and along with them my crunching times from 17 hours to 14-15 hours. When combined with the standby, my times have only increased to around 20 hours per WU (the same as I was getting with the GUI).

Now for the fun part!! Just check out this picure I snapped this morning after the computer came out of standby :eek:

JigPu

standby will kill off your seti until it is restarted
however i dont see why your parents would need to put your pc on standby overnight
if it was a noise issue wouldnt they turn it off?

i suggest you just set the power options to turn the monitor off and run a ramdisk,run seti from that ,and turn off your hard drive

:)

Heh... Unfortunatly, the HD isn't the loud component :D It's that darn HSF :rolleyes:

If it isn't a noise issue, then it's a power issue... Our power bill was about $200 this month, and they may be looking for any way to decrease "wasted" electricity that nobody is using. But if that were the case, it would be on standby while I was at school...

Let's see if I can get it down to only 16 years/WU first... This thing is pretty tweaked as it is... That, and it's darn hard to tweak the hardware of an OEM machine :D :D

JigPu

Back