• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC effects on mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Don_Z

Registered
I got another noob question!
I've read all the usual about shorter component lifespan due to oc'ing but was curious how much this applies to a mobo?
I'm thinking the cpu will die quicker but if this happens (god forbid) can i just buy another 1 to replace or will i have to replace mobo 2?
Thanks

The motherboard is unlikely to have too many problems unless you use rediculous settings. The most likely thing to fail on a CPU overclock is the CPU itself either due to overheating or setting the voltage too high.

As long as you start out with a reasonable overclock and slowly work it higher keeping a close eye on temps and stability, you won't blow your processor.

Once you have a stable overclock, your processor might last 4-5 years instead of 5-7, but you'll probably want a new one in 4 years anyway :D

The component lifespan woes really only apply to extreme overclockers who run their systems with overly high voltage, and skirt the limits on stability and safe temperatures.

I've been overclocking on air for over a decade now, and never have had a CPU fail. I usually run at stock for a day to make sure the HS is mounted well, then start at about 50-80% of my desired eventual overclock, with comfortably low settings, and slowly work my way up from there over a week or so, with stability testing running overnight each night. (I'm a bit paranoid)

CPU lifespan in normal conditions is >20 years.
Overclocked, it may only be a year if you've really cranked it up.

The motherboard has to deal with the extra power being consumed, but odds are that won't shorten it's life too much.

And please note 'really cranking it up' likely means somethin you will never do as that is under extreme cooling conditions. If your temps and voltages are kept in check, you will likely require an upgrade before your board or CPU go bad from overclocking.

Just to throw out an obvious one: Make SURE (i.e. run non-overclocked) your heat sink is installed properly BEFORE you try overclocking, or really even stressing your processor at all.

I once overclocked a 6600, and when I first started running it (non-overclocked, with a giant Xigmatek heatsink and fan mounted) I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my CPU temps were hitting 90C+ on idle, no matter how I mounted the thing. On looking at the heatsink more, I discovered one of the pushpins kept coming just a bit loose after being mounted for about 10 minutes. I switched to a TRUE (no pushpins, just screws) and instantly, temps were okay.

I'd hate to think what would have happened to that CPU if I had started it out with a 100% overclock and started testing GPUs/folding/whatever immediately

The Q6600 would have thermal throttling to reduce temperature, then if that did not work to reduce temperature it would set a thermal trip at approximately 130c and shut your system down so now damage would occur to the CPU.

Intel designed the p3, p4, core 2, i3, i5, i7, CPU for catastrophic cooling failure, just like you and many other people have done or the fan dies.

Last year I worked on a P3 that would shut down every now then, the lady said it was doing it for last 4 years it was the cooling fan.:burn:

some of the 1156socket mobo's are suspect when giving much voltage

I would bet it is from the current draw and has less pins to carry the current as opposed to 1366. that is a guess though

the CPU is the only you really have to worry about since it has the highest density of transistors on the entire board

Back