• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU with on board monitoring!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djddrop

Registered
I've been planning on getting a PSU with on board monitoring for some time. I was looking at the Gigabyte Odin GT 800w a couple years ago. But now I see that they are no longer available anywhere. Are there any new PSUs with this feature or something similar? I'm ready to build a new system (getting tired of my 6 yo PC) and want the new system to be just how I like it.

Current (6 yo) Setup:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ OCed to 1.93 Ghz

VIA KT600 MoBo

1.5Gb PC3200 DDR Ram

Radeon 9200 SE AGP

20Gb Maxtor (OS)

80Gb Maxtor (Storage)

800w (Forget the brand) Modular PSU

All in a Mid-Tower Case that I will re-use.

Personally I wouldnt worry about it. Most of the items the software that came with that PSU could monitor can be done with CPUID or Everest, or your new systems, monitoring software. About the only thing I see that cant be measured by software is the wattage used...

Personally I wouldnt worry about it. Most of the items the software that came with that PSU could monitor can be done with CPUID or Everest, or your new systems, monitoring software. About the only thing I see that cant be measured by software is the wattage used...

So just use CPUID CPU-Z, get myself a nice 1000w Modular unit and be done with it?

Well, there is no need to have 1kw worth of power unless you are using 2 dual gpu cards really. 99% of people even here wont need 1kw worth of power. Save your money. And also dont buy the efficiency hype either that may be a post down the line. The difference is truely negligable.

If you plan on SLI/Crossfire with a single gpu card, then something in the 750-850W range would be perfect.

If you dont plan on SLI/Crossfire, then a 550-650W would be perfect for any single GPU or single dual GPU card.

I reccomend the Corsair brand. You cant go wrong there. Other options can be found in the PSU Guide link found in my signature.

Well, there is no need to have 1kw worth of power unless you are using 2 dual gpu cards really. 99% of people even here wont need 1kw worth of power. Save your money. And also dont buy the efficiency hype either that may be a post down the line. The difference is truely negligable.

If you plan on SLI/Crossfire with a single gpu card, then something in the 750-850W range would be perfect.

If you dont plan on SLI/Crossfire, then a 550-650W would be perfect for any single GPU or single dual GPU card.

I reccomend the Corsair brand. You cant go wrong there. Other options can be found in the PSU Guide link found in my signature.

I'm Planning on 2x SLIing two 9800+ cards on a EVGA Classified MoBo with a i7 CPU, Powering two WD 500Gb SATA drives. I haven't picked out any optical drives or sound card. So what do you think?

If you plan to SLi GTX 480, you'd need more than 850w for sure. Especially if you also plan to overclock the CPU and GPUs.

If you plan to SLi GTX 480, you'd need more than 850w for sure. Especially if you also plan to overclock the CPU and GPUs.

Nah, just two NVIDIA 9800's that will be hooked up to a Sony KDL-52WL140

1080p Gaming....Yum Yum!

I would rather see you get a 470/5850 vs 2 9800gts ( pretty week cards when compaired)

Recommend a good NVIDIA card w/HDMI for me to SLI. I don't trust ATi cards anymore. Not since I've seen so many cause BSODs and reboots.

*Off Topic* What do you guys think about the i7 980x?

Last edited:
I would rather see you get a 470/5850 vs 2 9800gts ( pretty week cards when compaired)
I would rather see this as well.

THere are more problems in SLI/Crossfire than there is with a single card from any mfg.

I would also say to not eliminate ATI from the running. It was likely a system specific issue that was the reason for your problems with an ATI card. They are fine, and honestly are a better card at this point in time.

I would rather see this as well.

THere are more problems in SLI/Crossfire than there is with a single card from any mfg.

I would also say to not eliminate ATI from the running. It was likely a system specific issue that was the reason for your problems with an ATI card. They are fine, and honestly are a better card at this point in time.

Ok, so what single card be it ATi or NVIDIA would you recommend that I could later SLI if I choose?

BTW, I have chosen my MoBo, RAM and CPU. Big shot to the pocket but worth it!!

5850 hands down...

Does it matter from what manufacturer? Cause I'm looking at a Saphire 5850.

OK, so here is what I plan on setting up:

EVGA 170 X58 Classified MoBo

Intel i7 980x CPU

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 12Gb (6 x 2Gb sticks) DDR3 1600

Saphire Vapor-X 5850 PCIe 2.0 16x 2Gb

(2) WD Caviar Black 500Gb SATA Drives

LG BD-R Optical Drive

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case

Did I miss anything and what kind of PSU would I be looking at for that? Would a Corsair 1000HX Do the job with room to expand???

Last edited:
What are you going to be doing with this rig? Cuz right now I honestly wouldn't suggest dropping a grand on a 6 core processor when there is not much out there that takes advantage of a quad core processor, I have the same thought process in regard to will you ever actually get any benefit from 12 gigs of Ram vs 6. If you are going to be doing alot of gaming, I would just get a quad core, 6 gigs of Ram and use the extra cash towards perhaps a couple of SSd drives, Maybe a really nice monitor.
As far as the PSU, Really if you want to eventually X-fire a couple of 5850's a quality 750 watt PSU will be fine, The only way you would need a 1k if is if you were going to go with a couple of 5970's and a watercooling loop.

What are you going to be doing with this rig? Cuz right now I honestly wouldn't suggest dropping a grand on a 6 core processor when there is not much out there that takes advantage of a quad core processor, I have the same thought process in regard to will you ever actually get any benefit from 12 gigs of Ram vs 6. If you are going to be doing alot of gaming, I would just get a quad core, 6 gigs of Ram and use the extra cash towards perhaps a couple of SSd drives, Maybe a really nice monitor.
As far as the PSU, Really if you want to eventually X-fire a couple of 5850's a quality 750 watt PSU will be fine, The only way you would need a 1k if is if you were going to go with a couple of 5970's and a watercooling loop.

As far as the PSU I want room for eventually water cooling and crossfiring a second card. As for a monitor, I'm in a 12' x 10' bedroom and have a 52" Bravia WL series TV on the wall. I think that will do. I wanted to go with the 6 core processor because I'm thinking about the future. Doesn't hurt to go all out if you have that big Tax return to cover it.

I understand wanting to get the best you can, I will just say that by the time 6 cores are utilized your processor will be so yesterday's news that you will be wanting something new at that time anyway. It's your money and you do what you feel comfortable with, I will just add that at the current time with the TV you will be using for a monitor IMO your money would be better spent going with as much video horsepower as possible instead of all the CPU horsepower, Like I said, That's just my though process, You do what makes you happy, It's your cash and spend it any way you want and enjoy, You should have a helluva rig.

Back