• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey, need some help with a BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
x0124 tends to point to needing more vcore when I'm ocing. Just as a test I would turn off the C-state power saving, then manually set your vcore to a voltage that should be stable oc'd and simply run stock and see if any improvement. Just set your RAM to Manual instead of XMP.

Question, would you advise against Windows 8.1 for gaming? just trying to figure out if its been fixed from most of its issues or not yet.

Completely up to you if you like the interface honestly. I prefer Win7 for my primary pc, but that's just my personal preference.

Alright so this has turned into a huge ordeal, I wiped it and reinstalled windows but it will not activate, when i use windows loader it gives me an error " using volume ID (harddisk Volume 1) Error finding your systems active partition" the instructions along with it say in this case I should use kill drive to create a bootable disc to run at start up which I have done but it does not show anything, I get a really long error that means nothing to me or google.

invalid opcode at obbc ffff 0206 00d1 0031 0008 0392 0420 086a 00d1 ffff 058c 0317

when I run it through windows it atleast acknowledges i have a c drive but obviously wont let me do anything to it since im using it (or thats what im guessing since that makes sense to me). ive never had so much trouble with anything like this and I could use some direction please.|

Good news i suppose is that i havent had a bsod in a really long time even though nothing else appears to be working lol

If you wiped and re-installed Windows, what are you using a windows loader for?

Press Windows key + Pause key on your keyboard to bring up the System Information window. At the bottom click on Activate and go from there to activate via Online or Telephone.

Activating is all you need to do now, right?

i am not fortunate enough to own a real copy of windows, nor does anyone I know have a real windows 7 oem

If you are using a pirated copy, I am sorry, but I cannot help you there.

I know this is possibly a RAM issue too, but try running sfc... open CMD in admin mode then type sfc /scannow

supposedly that helps with testing/fixing/replacing your system files. I had odd issues before with random loading/startup errors and occasional BSOD's, then found out about SFC... it actually worked from there on!

I actually had tried that sfc /scannow a few times and it never reported back with any errors :(

Well, that's a good thing then! The chance its your ram is greater ;) Hope a new set helps the system out. When I was into overclocking I used to always get 124 BSOD, and it was due to my ram settings with the overclock. if you are not overclocked, its most likely a stick of ram. BUT, if you swap it out with new sticks and it still does that, i'm lost with ya!

Haha, well thanks for trying to help anyway! I just finished installing everything, windows is now genuine, I am trying updates and its BSOD'd twice now though. Still getting plenty of windows update errors aswell.

Last edited:
Two questions, would dying ram cause any of the windows update issues? and, whats the chances of my ram just not be compatible with the motherboard, or is it more likely to be dying ram?

Dying RAM can cause all kinds of errors, starting with (but not limited to) OS issues with corruption and broken files, programs not running, etc etc.

Ah alrighty, thank you. One thing ive noticed is after every fresh install, I had a bsod on updates, so that may corrupt them and make it hard to install them afterwords im guess. I just repaired windows off of the CD and did so using the online feature when prompted, no BSOD as of yet. I think tomorrow im going to pick up some new ram like I said and hope all works out.

I really dont want to mess this up and waste 80-100 dollars, what RAM do you guys think I should get? I was thinking GSKILL Sniper 1866, if anyone has any better ideas for my motherboard please let me know, thank you! :)

I really dont want to mess this up and waste 80-100 dollars, what RAM do you guys think I should get? I was thinking GSKILL Sniper 1866, if anyone has any better ideas for my motherboard please let me know, thank you! :)

I linked the QVL RAM list from Asus for your board. I would get one of the G.SKILL sets off there.

I believe that is what it shows for 1866, F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR. I just wanted to be sure. Im really second guessing myself a lot on this build after all of this lol.

I believe that is what it shows for 1866, F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR. I just wanted to be sure. Im really second guessing myself a lot on this build after all of this lol.

Yep, that one is listed!

Question, would you advise against Windows 8.1 for gaming? just trying to figure out if its been fixed from most of its issues or not yet.
I've a buddy at work that loves 8.1 after he recently upgraded to play Battlefield, but of course he was running Vista before that.

Still not sure if it's a big difference if you've all ready Win7 on it.

Back