• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD ppls, Where do you install your games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dustin1706

Registered
Couldn't seem to find a similar thread, though I'm sure someone else must have asked this...

New build soon and I want to use an SSD as a primary HD with Quiet 5900 RPMers as storage. I have a few games installed currently on my 150GB raptorXs, mostly through steam.

Problem is Newer games take a ridiculous amount of storage! IE: Battlefiled BC2 takes over 6 GB , Napoleon: Total War actually takes 21.2GB !!!!

I would think that having games installed on an SSD would yield shorter load times and better performance but SSDs are expensive and it wouldn't take long to fill up even a 200GB drive with a few new games.

Where do you guys with SSDs install your games?

Couldn't seem to find a similar thread, though I'm sure someone else must have asked this...

New build soon and I want to use an SSD as a primary HD with Quiet 5900 RPMers as storage. I have a few games installed currently on my 150GB raptorXs, mostly through steam.

Problem is Newer games take a ridiculous amount of storage! IE: Battlefiled BC2 takes over 6 GB , Napoleon: Total War actually takes 21.2GB !!!!

I would think that having games installed on an SSD would yield shorter load times and better performance but SSDs are expensive and it wouldn't take long to fill up even a 200GB drive with a few new games.

Where do you guys with SSDs install your games?

When I had my SSD:
I use a Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB for all my games and use my SSD just for my OS.

Now I use a Raptor for my OS since I was having issues with my SSD.

But anyway, you can install games to a secondary drive easily. And the WD Black series is a great, cheap drive to work with. If you set up two in a RAID 0 array it would be even nicer and still quite inexpensive.

lol my ssd i bought 2 60gb and im happy with the space i have a windows home server so all my pics music and vids go on there anyway

I love my SSD for the boot speed and speed at which apps launch, even on an Atom processor but I install my games where they belong: on the 360 and PS3.

games go on my ssd

160gb is plenty - since I only get around 2 hours gametime a week I dont play much so dont have millions installed.

if I did I would pick and choose. i.e. my top5 games would be on the SSD, the once in a while games on storage :)

All my games are installed on my SSD. Did I notice a profound difference? In load times, yes but not while actually gaming. Most of my gaming is online and are heavily dependent on the connection to the external server (i.e network latency is the primary constraint).

Games, OS, Photoshop all go on SSD. Small programs, movies, music, pictures are on storage drive.

Like SN said, huge improvement on load times in games, but nothing changes during the game (still its nice to get a cheap kill in early).

My main system everythign is installed on my SSD's All 150Gigs are used up with them. Works perfectly and still have 40-50gigs free considering all the stuff I have on it. 6-7 games, couple large apps, the OS. I only use HDD's as extra storage mediums.

Load times are wonderful with the drives.

OS and frequently used programs (FF, open office, a few programs I set to boot with windows, etc.) go on my SSD. Games and rarely used and/or larger programs go on a 1TB HDD.

Seems like I might have to install games on SSD, even if it is only a load time decrease.

Which is good, because I want a silent system, so I kind of want to avoid 7200 RPM Drives.
Hopefully 1TB+ SSDs become available and affordable in the next year or two. lol

Thanks for the answers

games belong on a 360/ps3 like i belong on a moped. As in i wouldn't be caught dead doing that.

OS, Games and Software on the SSD - thats why its there.
All my pics, video and installs on the HDDs. I keep some video and picture files on the SSD while i edit them and than onto to the storage drives.

games belong on a 360/ps3 like i belong on a moped. As in i wouldn't be caught dead doing that.

I 2nd that all the way! All my mates keep having a go at me to get an Xbox so i can play them online! I got an Xbox elite with the E74 error for £25 :) Soon sold it as the graphics are toltaly pants :( Thats on a Full HD tv using HDMI.

I dont have a fast PC but christ what a differance! :shock:

OS and very slow loading games on SSD

large programs and less taxing games on 512 GB 10,000 RPM

music and movies etc on 1TB 7200 RPM

all sata 3 and the ssd is sata 6

I have 2 X Vertex SSD's in Raid 0 and 2x 1TB SATA 2 in Raid 1 and 1TB USB Drive

I have the OS and FPS games on the SSD and other games on the SATAs and the USB Drive for storage/backups

The perf is def much better on the SSD's. SSDs are better for read speeds and regular drives for write speeds.

With win 7 my pc reboots in like 3 mins

Back