• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Build..In Need Of Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swanylite

Registered
Beginning to build a computer to overclock and would like help from you. I thought I had picked great parts but determined I was wrong. Would like to keep the costs below $2000, dont need a monitor, and need recommendations. Here is the basic hardware I would like to have.

i7-930
Radeon 5870
12gb ram - not sure which manufacturer
Corsair H50

From experienced builders what would you recommend for the other parts?

For 1500 you can get xfire or SLI setup... 6G ram is sufficient as well. If your thing is gaming, then invest in the GPU's.. You might be able to fit GTX470 SLI or 5850 Xfire in there.

-D

the i7-930 does not overclock all that good compared to the 920. Any reason why you're interested in the 1366 and not the 1156?

the i7-930 does not overclock all that good compared to the 920. Any reason why you're interested in the 1366 and not the 1156?

I thought the 930 was comparable to the 920, but if it does not overclock I can go with the 920.

I just want to build a great machine without a lot of problems.

For 1500 you can get xfire or SLI setup... 6G ram is sufficient as well. If your thing is gaming, then invest in the GPU's.. You might be able to fit GTX470 SLI or 5850 Xfire in there.

-D

Not that concerned with multipe graphics cards, one is enough, will be using Adobe CS5 and I really don't game that much.

Not that concerned with multipe graphics cards, one is enough, will be using Adobe CS5 and I really don't game that much.

Well that narrows things down..

I would go for an i7 860 and save some money. Same performance as the 930, excellent overclocker. Socket 1156 - don't worry, the price is lower but the quality isn't.

Have you thought about other components on your computer? How about SSD, hard drives, case, PSU etc..?

-D

Well that narrows things down..

I would go for an i7 860 and save some money. Same performance as the 930, excellent overclocker. Socket 1156 - don't worry, the price is lower but the quality isn't.

Have you thought about other components on your computer? How about SSD, hard drives, case, PSU etc..?

-D

Any reason why you prefer the 8 series compared to the 9?

I have thought about lots of components but keep changing my mind.

Well if your doing alot of editing and file work go with an SSD it will eliminate 1 bottleneck and depending on other parts cost you can get 2 and set them up for a raid 0 config and really fly. are you doing video,graphics or pics with adobe? are you compressing files some more detail on what your doing will help. :welcome:

Last edited:
Any reason why you prefer the 8 series compared to the 9?

I have thought about lots of components but keep changing my mind.

The difference between the 8 and 9 series is the socket name, and price for the motherboards. Identical cores and performance clock to clock. The only reason to go 9 series is if you absolutely need 32x sli/xfire. Even then, there is only a 1-2% increase over 16x. Furthermore, MSI offers 32x+ mobos with the 1156 socket thanks to a new hydra chip.

If you keep changing your mind, it means you are learning. Thats a good thing. Once you choose your final build, you'll know its tight.

-D

EDIT: Overclocking the 8 and 9 series is a tad different since the outer cores differ slightly. 1156 was created to support on-die GPU so they have something called "un-core"... Dont get a headache over it..

Back