• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very confused with overclocked temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hockeyplaya

Hey folks!
I'm a relative noobie when it comes to overclocking, but I did a little bit of research to find a safe clock speed for my chip.

I recently built a computer mostly because I fried the CPU socket on my previous Compaq PC. Somehow my chip was ok so it was recycled as well as a bunch of other parts like my RAM and DVD drives, monitor, keyboard...

My current set-up is
Antec 1000W PSU
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L P45 chipset, 775 socket.
2GB of RAM
GeForce 8400 GS (old because I was on a budget)
Pentium D 925 65nm chip. (Salvaged from old computer)
Antec Performance Max CPU Cooler

Now, when I first booted up the computer it was running at 2.6 GHZ. I decided to tweak it to 3.4 and ran a stability test. It ran well, but I noticed that the temp fluctuated between 42 C and 48 C (speed fan) and the max temp as I understand it is 68 C. But I noticed that it only reaches 3.4 when under load. Otherwise it sits at 2.6, when I also noticed the multiplier is locked at 12X but the FSB is ok up to 880 so that is what I am tweaking.

I got bored today and decided to tweak it to 3.8. Did a full stability test and it runs very well under load but the temperature is actually lower (between 36 C and 42 C) which confuses me because more power running through it should mean more heat especially because it is a 65nm chip.

Is there any reason for the temp difference? Or is there a better temp monitoring program that I should be using?

Yup, coretemp and realtemp will not work at pre-core cpu since they didn't implement that feature yet.

Your best bet is still to use that current speedfan, it will read using the legacy t-diode method from the cpu, though their accuracy sux.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCForums :)

Like bing says, Speedfan is the choice for you.

BTW - you should really consider upgrading your PSU....your really pushin it with that system :screwy: :p

BTW - you should really consider upgrading your PSU....your really pushin it with that system

Hahaha, yes I know it is a bit of overkill, but I bought it because it was half-price on newegg when I ordered my mobo and I figured it will be good when I start upgrading.

Now, does anyone know why the huge temperature difference happened? I'm very confused by that.

Back