• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED NEED A NETWORK CARD!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoshOohAh

My network card is worse than the poo out of elephants! It sucks!! I know I don't have the best ISP but I know my network card is crap! My brother comes in my room with his Macbook and just pulls up and he is getting a way better signal than me, watching HD content on Youtube without stops, downloading way faster than me, and I have need to open a video and come back 2-3 min later just to watch a 360p video on Youtube!

I defiantly need to go buy a new card ASAP! Problem is I have no idea what to look for. Could anyone recommend what they have or what I should be looking for when I buy one. Instead of the bullcrap thats put on the boxes and the idiots who don't know anything at my local computer store.

Forgot to mention- It needs to be wireless because there is no physical way I can get a Ethernet cord into the back of my router based on the way my house is built

Before you buy a new card, make sure that your case isn't between your current card's antenna and the wireless router.

I kind of doubt it, really.
The PCI bus will do 133mb/second (that's megabytes).
Wireless G will do 54megabits/second, 6.75megabytes.

Gigabit ethernet is the first place PCI can't cut it networking wise.

You're going to get much better speeds with a PCI-e card then a PCI.
That said: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320048

What are your current speeds?

I'm paying for about 10 MB/s and I'm receiving 10.01MB/s 883817624.png (on the latest test I just did) after this USB card I bought. I didn't notice there were replies to this thread otherwise I would have gone for the ASUS one but apart from Windows detecting it as 10-30% connection strength I am more than happy with the speeds. Plus since it is USB I can bring it around my tower and monitor to point it towards my router.

I kind of doubt it, really.
The PCI bus will do 133mb/second (that's megabytes).
Wireless G will do 54megabits/second, 6.75megabytes.

Gigabit ethernet is the first place PCI can't cut it networking wise.

I would love to use Gigabit in my house it would probably save me a lot of money. The only issue is the distance and walls that separate my tower from the router. I'm considering moving the router to my room but thats a whole other issue.

Back