• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Intel and NVIDIA's New Performance Parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
Intel and NVIDIA’s New Performance Parts
by David

Intel and NVIDIA have both been busy on the next generation of high performance parts:

Intel has listed the Core i7-970 CPU. Retailing at $900, this chip has six hyperthreaded cores at 3.2 GHz, 12 MB of cache and is made using a 32 nm process. It still plays second fiddle to the 980X which is 133 MHz faster and possesses a faster (6.4 GT/s vs 4.8 GT/s) QPI speed. It ought to be a cheaper alternative, however, and once the new chip is in the hands of overclockers we might see the performance gap narrowed significantly. The i7-970 is currently $100 less than it's big brother. The release of this chip comes along with price drops on some lines and discontinuation of others, according to Fudzilla.

... Return to the article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom)

Last edited:
Depressingly high price for the 970. Not even close to worth it IMO. Not when the 980x is only $100 more expensive and doesn't require a motherboard capable of high bclk to reach very high OCs.

Dying to see some benchmarks!!!!! I wonder what their going to do with the top of the card? Just sell it with a pre-installed water block. Either way this thing sounds beast!

I'm so sad that the i7 970 is going to still be close to the price of the 980x, I was hoping it to be at the 500 mark at least so I can consider upgrading! And the dual 480, I can't wait to see benchmarks for them in SLI!!!!!

Back