• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX 480 Disappointment [screws stripped]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VoX1090T

Registered
EVGA GTX 480 Disappointment [SUCCESS!]

I just destroyed my GTX 470 trying to get an aftermarket cooler on it, the screws stripped. I swear they're made of playdoh, I have every size screw driver ever invented, didn't matter.

So I have a great vga cooler from Gelid that is usless now.

I bought a GTX 480 - I stared at the 5970 for about 20 minutes, thinking 700bucks plus the cost of a new power supply ( I have a 600w) to support it, and 1000 bucks later I'd have the best ATI card.

Alas, I ended up with the GTX 480 - got home tried to take the screws off and of course, the first one turned to butter, stripped. Running at 180 degrees playing World of Warcraft of all games..

Should I have gone for the 5970? Is ATI actually better than Nvidia now?

Can my stripped screws be fixed?

I'm going to microwave some kittens , see if I feel better. sigh.:bang head

Update: Dremel tool and a steady hand works wonders! If anyone is in the same boat as me - PM me and I'll tell you what I did!

Last edited:
480's good, but unless you have a serious high end PSU 600W might be pushing it. I'm on a cheap 650w, and while it runs the 480 OC'ed, I've had some rather odd stability issues with it at times that sort of make me think the problem stems from the PSU and not GPU OC stability. Having said that, haven't had any issues in a while (Knock on wood) A new PSU probably wouldn't be a bad idea if your looking in the 480/5970 range. However I don't think you'd need to drop $300 bucks on a new one, I know Corsair makes a bunch of decently affordable ones in the 700-800w range, as do Antec. I personally am probably going to go with the XFX750w, Johnny Guru says its one of the best he's ever seen.

Check out the Zotac AMP edition 480 if your tired of destroying cards lol, its basically a preinstalled aftermarket cooled 480, which performs better than the Gelit and more quietly as well.

5970's faster of course, might be worth it if your willing to put up with some of the headaches multigpu setups come with.

Come over to the ATI section...we'll treat you nice;) Sorry to hear about your cards, that blows in a big way. Have you tried a diff set of screws? Artic Silver still makes Thermal Adhesive. You could put the screws back in w/ a bit of that to hold them in place...PERMANENTLY. Its srtong stuff, ive used to glue Home made heat sinks on the memory of an old video card. They are still attached several years later. Just an Idea
:welcome: to the forums!!

Both card MFG are fine. The 480 is the fastest single GPU card out, how can you go wrong? I had the stock cooler on my 470 on/off a few times and never stripped anything. Sorry about that bad luck.

Also, in regards to PSU's, 600W is FINE with a quality PSU. For pete's sake, the card is 250W TDP!!! You dont need a 1kw monster to run these things...

The problem is I can't get the housing OFF the 480 to put my vga cooler on. If they didn't box these cards in they wouldn't run so hot.

Sometimes, these super smart guys that design this stuff are dumb.

Anyway I tried TorX wrenchs, Allen Wrenches, you name it, short of a dremel tool and a really steady hand, I guess I'm stuck or I could just return it..

....5970..hmm

The problem is I can't get the housing OFF the 480 to put my vga cooler on. If they didn't box these cards in they wouldn't run so hot.

Sometimes, these super smart guys that design this stuff are dumb.

Anyway I tried TorX wrenchs, Allen Wrenches, you name it, short of a dremel tool and a really steady hand, I guess I'm stuck or I could just return it..

....5970..hmm

Uhh, the 480 heatsink uses regular phillips head screws. The shroud isn't even screwed on at all, just press the little tabs and lift it off.

Mine is connected unfortunately, four corners.

Even if it wasn't I have to be able to get the fan mount off as well and that's screwed on as well.

I DRILLED through my GTX 470 - It was basically an autopsy after I was finished. I'm very familiar with it now.

I (hope) presume he is talking about the base. B/c the shroud does snap off, but the base is still screwed in by 34075304573097534085 screws. :)

I (hope) presume he is talking about the base. B/c the shroud does snap off, but the base is still screwed in by 34075304573097534085 screws. :)

I counted that many too.

My magnetic screwdriver failed at 987987987

17 screws, and using the torx and allen wrench probably didn't help the screws any :p

Anyway.. Watch
before ya break another card :)

You can also buy a plier like tool called a 'Vice Grip'. I use it to grab the head of the screw when its been stripped. Saved me in all kinds of situations.

Or an easy out if you can get your hands on one (looks like a wierd reverse threaded conical drill)

any time i have taken off GFx card screws they are very small some time to small even for my terminating phillips . But a Tiny flat blade works well .
on a side note if you deside to go get another new card i will take the 480 with teh messed up scrwes off your hands

Last edited:
Invest in some good Snap-On screwdrivers and tools. Working with 500+ videos cards with dollar store tools is very very stupid, and Craftsman is also garbage.

Im using a Ultra 1000W Semi-Cheapo Psu with my dual 480's with the entire system very overclocked and im 100% stable.

Back