• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDMI Audio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ATI cards have an onboard codec (hda-intel driver in Linux), just like many motherboards. HDMI is digital, so AFAIK there should be no issues with regard to DAC quality of the card, it all depends on the quality of the equipment on the other end of the HDMI cable.

So they just pass through the digital audio with the video. Do I need any special software/drivers for this?

You don't need any special drivers. I believe they're built into the Catalyst drivers or Windows.

You just need to switch audio output to HDMI from your other output.

One thing that bugs me is that I can't have HDMI and my sound card outputting at the same time. Something in Windows that won't allow that.

One thing that bugs me is that I can't have HDMI and my sound card outputting at the same time. Something in Windows that won't allow that.

Yes you can. Any application that requires audio can select which device it plays through.

What about version of Windows? Does it need to be 7? Will XP send the audio over HDMI? What about Linux?

What about version of Windows? Does it need to be 7? Will XP send the audio over HDMI? What about Linux?

Any application that plays sound can tell whatever sound interface your operating system is using which device to use to play it.

Yes you can. Any application that requires audio can select which device it plays through.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I wanted my to use my monitor's speakers through HDMI as a center channel (as cruddy as it would be) and the sound card to playback on my other speakers (4.1).

I know I can select which device it plays through (HDMI or sound card) but getting both HDMI and my sound card to play at the same time I cannot, or haven't been able to, do. I've already searched it and all results have pointed it out as a limitation in Windows.

You'd need some sort of freely routable software mixer to accomplish this AFAIK. You can't easily split up multichannel audio between multiple audio devices w/o jumping through some hoops and likely w/o using some pro-audio type interfaces which would be overkill in this setup.

Does your display have analog audio inputs that are selectable independently of the HDMI Audio (If you use the HDMI Video Signal, can you still use the Analog Audio inputs on the Display?)? You could try feeding the Analog Center Speaker connection from your Onboard Soundcard to the Display's Audio Input (use or make a custom adapter to split the Mono Center Channel signal from the MoBo to both Tip and Ring on the 1/8" connection to the Moniotor's Audio input so both of the Monitor's speakers reproduce the Center Channel Audio giving you a form of "Phantom Center" - could be cool!).

Crude, but possible IMO...

:cool:

Back