• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 260 issue on prime95??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rnldrc22

Ok guys, i've been having this problem for quite some days now, however it stopped for a while but now it came back to haunt me.

I've contacted Miahallen to try to help me but at the time the problem suddenly stopped.

So, ive been trying to regulate the voltages of my overclock of my cpu by lowering them. And when running prime95 my screen suddenly blinks for a few times then i got to close prime (alt+f4) to come back to normal. When i do that it appears: "The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. " and i've read that it appears because we are over using the graphics subsystem. But prime95 doesnt test gpu capabilities... thats so strange.

Does any one have any idea the cause of this? would it be my gtx 260 for some unknown reason?

It happens only when im using prime95...

When the blinking happens i got to bump vtt and it stops. weird..

Could be a damaged PSU? If the voltages suddenly fluctuate maybe the GPU voltage is also going crazy?

Or maybe you just need to up the voltage on the CPU? Just a couple of suggestions from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about ^_^

We touched on this in a couple of your other threads...

Have you tried a different driver version? uninstall in safe mode, run driver cleaner pro (its free), reboot to normal windows, and install the newest drivers.

Could be a damaged PSU? If the voltages suddenly fluctuate maybe the GPU voltage is also going crazy?

Or maybe you just need to up the voltage on the CPU? Just a couple of suggestions from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about ^_^

hahaha thanks for the suggestions. Increasing voltages actually helps. But i cant be increasing it forever as in the temperatures getting higher and higher... i want to know why that happens though..

I have an sparkle psu, would it be possible? what are the normal voltages in the 3V, 5V, 12V?

We touched on this in a couple of your other threads...

Have you tried a different driver version? uninstall in safe mode, run driver cleaner pro (its free), reboot to normal windows, and install the newest drivers.

Yeah... ok, but wouldnt windows install the drivers back again? it does that with me. Oh, safe mode... thts what i was doing wrong

hahaha thanks for the suggestions. Increasing voltages actually helps. But i cant be increasing it forever as in the temperatures getting higher and higher... i want to know why that happens though..

I have an sparkle psu, would it be possible? what are the normal voltages in the 3V, 5V, 12V?
Well, thats the overclocking game. Your voltages in your sig are nice for the overclock. So long as the temps are under control when stress testing (80s or less), I wouldnt worry too much about the voltage.

Yeah... ok, but wouldnt windows install the drivers back again? it does that with me. Oh, safe mode... thts what i was doing wrong
It may try, sure, its basic VGA drivers, but you need to install the Nvidia drivers!!

Well, thats the overclocking game. Your voltages in your sig are nice for the overclock. So long as the temps are under control when stress testing (80s or less), I wouldnt worry too much about the voltage.

It may try, sure, its basic VGA drivers, but you need to install the Nvidia drivers!!

Ok, thanks! i'm trying to lower the voltages because i would like to use HT... with those voltages i had and more HT i would stay at 80C so i'm trying to get them down. I usually dont play much games so HT would be cool. Ill install the drivers and see.

80C stress testing is just fine as that will show ~70C in most anything else (like gaming).

You may have to go 4ghz with HT though. ;)

hmm okay! I had read on intel's specification that the safe temperature is 72C, so thats why i was trying to lower it. But if you say so, then ill keep it =D lets see if the drivers work with me now.

Well, stress testing into the 80s is fine, as again, normal temps will be about 10C less for the intense things we do...

Well, stress testing into the 80s is fine, as again, normal temps will be about 10C less for the intense things we do...

ok heheh ah, and installing the drivers didnt work also... just happned again =/// i did as you said.

Thats baffling. Try another CPU stress program like OCCT and see what that does. Dont worry if it hits the mid 80's with that one. ;)

Thats baffling. Try another CPU stress program like OCCT and see what that does. Dont worry if it hits the mid 80's with that one. ;)

An out of thread question... while testing on OCCT i noticed that my 5V rail of my psu is being measured at 4.97-4.94, is that a big deal?

By the way, on OCCT nothing happened -- on prime the blinking thingy usually started on the 5-10 minutes.

This is going to sound silly, but, just stop using P95 and test with OCCT... :)

That is not bad at all for 5v. Spec is 5% and thats well within 1%.

This is going to sound silly, but, just stop using P95 and test with OCCT... :)

That is not bad at all for 5v. Spec is 5% and thats well within 1%.

haha okay! i guess prime isnt so friendly with me. Is OCCT beter than prime?

I actually didnt know the specs were 5%, nice knowing it!!! Thanks for helping EarthDog :D

Back