• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans, Noctua NF-P12 vs Scythe Gentle Typhoon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wanner

Registered
I have ordered two 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm and i have two Noctua NF-P12 that came with my Noctua NH-U12P SE2.

What would you recommend, using the GTs as casefans and keep the NF-P12s for the CPU-cooler. Or use the GTs with the CPU-cooler and use the NF-P12s as case fans?

Thanks.

Gt's on the p12 all the way, they've got the static pressure you need for the heatsink, that said, I had to dremel down some to get them to fit on a d14, they're open corner, but only technically, about 3/4 of the mounting hole is surrounded by plastic. That said, it was a really simple task to just take a grinder attachment and get rid of the plastic, I also thinned up the casing at the corners a bit, but I would only recommend that on a case by case basis, so try it minus corners before you decided to thin it up.

Gt's on the p12 all the way, they've got the static pressure you need for the heatsink, that said, I had to dremel down some to get them to fit on a d14, they're open corner, but only technically, about 3/4 of the mounting hole is surrounded by plastic. That said, it was a really simple task to just take a grinder attachment and get rid of the plastic, I also thinned up the casing at the corners a bit, but I would only recommend that on a case by case basis, so try it minus corners before you decided to thin it up.

Do you mean "GTs on the U12"? :)

I don't think you will see significantly different temps with the GT's on the heatsink personally, but it sure doesn't hurt to try it out. If they were the 1850 rpm GT's I would say you would see a decent drop in temps but I don't think the 1450 rpm variety will have a significant difference in static pressure over the NF-P12 fans that Noctua uses. Both are high quality fans though, so both sets of fans should last a long time giving you silent operation. The specs on the Noctua show a static pressure of .066 inches H2O and the 1450 rpm GT shows a static pressure of .051 inches H2O. So according to the numbers both fans quote, the Noctua is actually higher in static pressure. But, how accurate are the numbers quoted by both fan manufacturers?;)

Try them both on the heatsink and go with the best performing pair. And like Mortifer already said, you will need to trim some plastic out of the way on those semi-closed corners of the GT fans.

I don't think you will see significantly different temps with the GT's on the heatsink personally, but it sure doesn't hurt to try it out. If they were the 1850 rpm GT's I would say you would see a decent drop in temps but I don't think the 1450 rpm variety will have a significant difference in static pressure over the NF-P12 fans that Noctua uses. Both are high quality fans though, so both sets of fans should last a long time giving you silent operation. The specs on the Noctua show a static pressure of .066 inches H2O and the 1450 rpm GT shows a static pressure of .051 inches H2O. So according to the numbers both fans quote, the Noctua is actually higher in static pressure. But, how accurate are the numbers quoted by both fan manufacturers?;)

Try them both on the heatsink and go with the best performing pair. And like Mortifer already said, you will need to trim some plastic out of the way on those semi-closed corners of the GT fans.

I decided not to buy the 1850 rpm GTs since i want to keep the volume down. The main reason i ordered the GTs was to improve the air flow in the case so i guess ill try that first :).

Thanks for your input!

I own the 1850 rpm GT fans plus the NF-P12 fans and to tell the truth, the 1850 GT fans aren't any noisier than the Noctua fans. They do have a higher pitch to them but it's not annoying and it is very smooth sounding.

I own the 1850 rpm GT fans plus the NF-P12 fans and to tell the truth, the 1850 GT fans aren't any noisier than the Noctua fans. They do have a higher pitch to them but it's not annoying and it is very smooth sounding.

Since the 1450rpms are not in stock and wont be for a while Im considering buying the 1850rpms instead. Can always use a fan controller.

I thought noctua inflated their numbers, not a lot, but at least some...they're both good fans though, you're right...I think that some testing is in order :D

Back