• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I on the right track?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadewraith

Registered
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I've been planning out my new PC for about a month now and I was hoping somebody could tell me if I'm heading in the right direction for my build. Maybe give me a few pointers as well.

Case - Still debating between Mountain Mods U2-UFO or an Armorsuit. I like to have a lot of room to work in.
Motherboard - EVGA X58 Classified 3-way SLI
Processor - Intel Core i7-960 (This will be OC)
Graphics - EVGA GTX480SC

I have my other parts picked out, but I don't think they're relevant to this topic
Cooling Stuff:
CPU Block - http://tinyurl.com/2vk598r
GPU Blocks - http://tinyurl.com/2wc4zke
Reservoir - Can't decide between RAD or a drive bay style. I'm not sure if I should be running 1 or 2 loops for this setup.
Pump - Not too sure on this either.
Radiators - I like the Black Ice SR1s, but I don't know what's enough and what's too much. I know the U2-UFO can fit a single, a double, and a triple in it, but that sounds a bit overkill.

If anyone could link me to a good guide about how to set up loops (I'm not sure where the liquid is supposed to start), that would be great! Pictures or video would be a plus. I've tried searching these forums and haven't come up with what I'm looking for. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Alright, I'll spend some time reading tomorrow. Thanks!

@thorilan - "383+ water coolled systems built , 0 leaks " Quite impressive :) I hope I don't make any mistakes on my first try. I've put together tons of air cooled systems, but nothing like this.

Well it's pretty old. In the link I posted there is much better updated info. Granted, I didn't read your link much. If it's got some good basic info and is grounded in science and not... er silly, it's good you got it.

Lets chat about your needs. Your case is awesome, more than enuff room. You could go tech station if kids and stuff isn't an issue and your more about function over form.
Shameless plug, my rig with older GPUs.

Err, fun shot long ago
8800GTinstalledAntec900case.jpg
Mora newera!
IMG_0458.jpg

Anyhoo, back to your rig.

You picked a CPU block that I wouldn't buy. I like DD, great guy in RL, met him once. Good stuff, he's a old time player always close to the cutting edge. Except in CPU blocks. Please refer to Skinneelabs.com. Please notice your block choice isn't even tested it's so old.

Good GPU block. Looking closely at the pic I posted you can see tarnish marks on my second card. The bane of copper. Granted it's on the back mem side. Doesn't hurt performance at ALL.

This is from a top forum. Post 1004 of a thread.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4482820&postcount=1004

You decide if the DD block is best.

I know we know where to look for info, some of us been at this long time and are forum addicts. Me.

Once you look at your heatload (sticky), flow rates (sticky), and noise requirements (rad types at Skinnees) you can begin to build a parts list. Let us see it once your ready. We will make sure it's right.

BTW, I spent 25 minutes writing this just for you. I don't have to do this, but it's what we do. Hopefully my 25 min after a full day of work will be worthwhile.

Wow thanks a lot for all your time! I really appreciate it. I'll check out the skinnees website to look for a better CPU block.

From what you've told me, it looks like I need to take a lot more into consideration. Having a silent system isn't a requirement for me, as long as it doesn't sound like a jet engine. I'm still not sure how much I'm going to OC my CPU either. I'm still a rookie tech, so I haven't come across any water cooled systems, nor did I learn about overclocking. I'm confident in my ability to build a rig, but I'm glad I have you guys to help me with the cool stuff :)

Edit: So from that website that you linked to me, it looks like the Hydrocopper is the best for GPU temps and the DD is good for VRM temps. I honestly had to look up what a VRM was. For the CPU, it seems like the Koolance CPU-350 is a better option (I also like acrylic).

As far as a tech station, what do you recommend? I've thought about getting one, but I also like having a sweet looking case (it looks better imho). I think an advantage of having a tech station is the ease of leak testing. Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited:
From what you've told me, it looks like I need to take a lot more into consideration. Having a silent system isn't a requirement for me, as long as it doesn't sound like a jet engine. I'm still not sure how much I'm going to OC my CPU either. I'm still a rookie tech, so I haven't come across any water cooled systems, nor did I learn about overclocking. I'm confident in my ability to build a rig, but I'm glad I have you guys to help me with the cool stuff :)

Bible of fans for noise vs performance...right here. Pick fans whose tone you like...also, be aware that the mic is quite close to the fans, so the recordings are really only good for tone and comparative noise levels.

Edit: So from that website that you linked to me, it looks like the Hydrocopper is the best for GPU temps and the DD is good for VRM temps. I honestly had to look up what a VRM was. For the CPU, it seems like the Koolance CPU-350 is a better option (I also like acrylic).

but you have to pick ONE gpu block...which one balances the temps best with your flow requirements? You can't look at them independently, you have to look at things as a whole.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4481370&postcount=964

those are the full testing results.

As far as a tech station, what do you recommend? I've thought about getting one, but I also like having a sweet looking case (it looks better imho). I think an advantage of having a tech station is the ease of leak testing. Anyway, thanks again!

Con has a banchetto tech station. They're better for if you can have an open system and do modifications frequently. they're easy to setup and look good (imo :D). Cases are easier to move around (if you lan etc), they do have to deal with in case temps though, so you have to worry about airflow through the case and airflow across the rad.

but you have to pick ONE gpu block...which one balances the temps best with your flow requirements? You can't look at them independently, you have to look at things as a whole.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4481370&postcount=964

those are the full testing results.

After seeing the test results, I like the Koolance GPU block the best. The variation of GPU and VRM temps are too varied between the Hydro Copper and DD blocks. The Koolance stays at a good temp for both. I think that's what I'll go for.

Now, when I do this, I'd honestly prefer to just run a single loop for now (especially since I'm a first-timer). My loop looks something like:

Res > Pump > GPU > GPU > 120 Rad > CPU > 360 Rad > Res

Will that be enough to keep the temps low or should I add another radiator in there somewhere?

Sorry if all of my questions are bothering you guys. There are just some things that the links don't answer.

A single loop sounds nice and all, but I feel that you can have an easier installation and better results if you go with two loops.

I'm currently planning my first water cooled system right now and will be going with a dual loop system and it will be very easy to implement. There is a really nice res/top from XSPC that can act as a top for two 355 pumps and a separate res for each. Basically all you would need above what you already have is another pump.

Heres the res I mentioned above.
XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir for Two Laing DDC's

If you do go with a dual loop you should be good on cooling, I could be wrong but I believe a 120 should be good for a single 480, especially if you don't plan on overclocking it.

A single loop sounds nice and all, but I feel that you can have an easier installation and better results if you go with two loops.

I'm currently planning my first water cooled system right now and will be going with a dual loop system and it will be very easy to implement. There is a really nice res/top from XSPC that can act as a top for two 355 pumps and a separate res for each. Basically all you would need above what you already have is another pump.

Heres the res I mentioned above.
XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir for Two Laing DDC's

If you do go with a dual loop you should be good on cooling, I could be wrong but I believe a 120 should be good for a single 480, especially if you don't plan on overclocking it.

That's a pretty cool res...where would it fit, though? A drive bay?

Should be enough, gpu's don't mind high temps, just so long as your water temp doesn't go above 60c, that's when pumps get unhappy.

Cool! Thanks again!! I think I'm going to go with the Lian Li case (MM is just too much). I'm going to put the 360 rad in the front and I should have enough room for the disc drive and the dual res that Noshei mentioned. Then I'll put a 120 in the back.

I'll run the Res > Pump > GPU > GPU > 120 > CPU > 360 > Res
Does that sound correct?

I think I've got this now. Here's my list for cooling:

CPU Block: Koolance CPU-350
GPU Blocks: Koolance VID-NX480
Reservoir: XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir
Pump: DD / Laing DDC 3.25 -12V 18 Watt Version
Radiators: 1x Black Ice SR1 120
1x Black Ice SR1 360
Tubing: Tygon 3603 Tubing 1/2"
Fittings: Fat Boys
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver
Clamps and coolant

How does this sound?

That res is specifically designed to run two loops. so you would have a CPU loop and a GPU loop.

CPU loop:
Res > Pump > CPU > Rad (360) > Res

GPU Loop:
Res > Pump > GPU > Rad (120) >Res

The only added cost here is about $60-70 more for a second pump and you will get way better performance out of the CPU as the temps will be lower. GPU's run about 10-15 degrees hotter (I might be wrong on the temps but I know they are hotter) than the CPU and can degrade performance of the water cooling system if they are in the same loop as the CPU.

I dont see anything specific on liquid on that list, best way to go is distilled water and either nuke or silver kill coils or both.

Cool! Thanks again!! I think I'm going to go with the Lian Li case (MM is just too much). I'm going to put the 360 rad in the front and I should have enough room for the disc drive and the dual res that Noshei mentioned. Then I'll put a 120 in the back.

I'll run the Res > Pump > GPU > GPU > 120 > CPU > 360 > Res
Does that sound correct?

not really, that's pretty underradded...you need 360 for the cpu...then 120.1 for each gpu if they're getting their own loop, more if you want your cpu temps to be decent in a single loop.

I think I've got this now. Here's my list for cooling:

CPU Block: Koolance CPU-350
GPU Blocks: Koolance VID-NX480
Reservoir: XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir
Pump: DD / Laing DDC 3.25 -12V 18 Watt Version
Radiators: 1x Black Ice SR1 120
1x Black Ice SR1 360
Tubing: Tygon 3603 Tubing 1/2"
Fittings: Fat Boys
Clamps and coolant

How does this sound?

tbh, pretty bad...

http://skinneelabs.com/i7-blocks-2.html if you HAVE to have koolance, at least go koolance 360, why go a gen back? If you want good performance, go ek hf, it beats the apogee xt...spend some serious time on skinneelabs, read EVERYTHING relating to water cooling there. Ditch the 3.25, just get a ddc 3.2, there's really no difference. Once again, you're underradded. Coolant, you mean distilled water and pt nuke, right? You made no mention of fans, fans are important...really important.

also, listen to noshei, he's made some good suggestions...

Thanks for the sites again. I don't do well when reading graphs, but the written info helped a lot. This is my last try at my build before I ask other people (I don't want to take advantage of the advice you've been kindly giving me). Here's what I've come up with:

CPU Block: EK-Supreme-HF
GPU Blocks: 2x aquagraFX for GTX 480 (seems to have the best performance)
Reservoir: 2x Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev2 (recommended by another forum)
Pump: 2x DD / Laing DDC-12V 18 Watt Version 3.2
Radiators: 1x Thermochill PA120.2 (Went with the 120.2 over the 120.1 since my case will be able to hold it)
1x Thermochill PA120.3
Coolant: Distilled Water with Silver coils (Suggested over Nuke by another forum. Might use both)
Dye: This I'm not sure if it really matters. One loop is going to be red, the other will be purple.
Tubing: Tygon R3603 1/2" ID 3/4" OD
Fittings: EK High Flow Fittings G 1/4 to 1/2in. ID Barb (I hope these are the right sizes)
Fans Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1150 RPM (since I'll have quite a few of these, I'll probably get some splitters and a fan controller like the NZXT)

Loop 1: Res1 > Pump1 > CPU > 120.3 > Res1
Loop 2: Res2 > Pump2 > GPU1 > GPU 2 > 120.2 > Res2

Again, thanks for all the help I've been getting. I don't want to take advantage of you all, so if this setup still sounds bad I'll take it elsewhere to give you guys a break :cool:

,Shade

Back