• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 4890's crossfire or Single Asus 5870?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Williamc141

Registered
I have a HD 4890 in my computer right now but was wondering if I should crossfire them or just get a single 5870. Ive heard crossfire was better but I wanna know from a group of people what they think. I also need to know if the ASUS p5q series will support the 5870? Thanks!

Well depends on how much you willing to spend. Crossfiring the 4890 should give you as good or better performance then the 5870 alone.(And costing alot less) That being said there are still advantages with the 5870 such as the direct x 11, eyefinity and being able to crossfire that later for better performance. Though i would still just go for the other 4890 and then later get a 6 series card in a year or so.

Well I have a friend willing to sell me his 5870 due to he got a better card. Hes willing to sell it for 150 plus shipping. I forgot to add that in there :0

Well I have a friend willing to sell me his 5870 due to he got a better card. Hes willing to sell it for 150 plus shipping. I forgot to add that in there :0

well if you dont buy it I will :)
look at the POWER you will save, stuffing 2 4890s in could be more costly if you have to update your PSU and home air conditioner to use em :)

hey i was wondering if they could translate the heat of the newer video cards to an Energy Star Heater technology for heating homes and auditoriums, mabey a new energy efficient snow removal method :santa:

Dude if you can get a working 5870 for 150 then go for that. (thats hell of a deal) If you decide not to get it hit me up and i'd buy it also.

Depends on the game, but then again this bottlenecking will probably occur at over 60FPS so wouldn't make a difference. Overclocking is always an option anyway. Enjoy your new GPU :)

William, This is just a personal view. I am running 2xHD4890 cards in crossfire and I can honestly say it surpassed all my expections. Both cards are comfortably overclocked to 935 core 1700 mem. cpu OC to 4.05GHz. Over 20k marks on futuremark,fps 55-65 and up to 97 during tests. To buy upgrade cards for dealers pleasure doesnt tie in. Maybe the price you have been offered will seem fair,and the choice will be yours. A new ATI4890 has dropped in price close to £100,maybe less.
All I can add is that dont follow the crowd that always have to have the latest card as soon as it becomes available. Do some homework and figure out what you really need for the next few months.
cheers

I would do the 4890's in crossfire but it seems like the 5870 would be the better way to go, I could buy one now and then later in time I could buy a 2nd and have 5870's in crossfire. 4890's in crossfire also uses alot of power.

Only time I notice my electricity bill going up is when the daughter comes home and uses the tumble dryer.Unless your planning a 1200w PSU and running 24/7 the cost will be only a few pence/cents. When you get to 5870 in crossfire you will feel that this is also out of date.lol
Do whats best for yourself depending what you use the PC for.
cheers

For $150, buy the 5870. Then sell it for the price of three 4890s and go quadfire :D

Seriously though, do not pass up a <$200 5870.

Oh im not. I should be buying it this week. I cant wait! Anyone know how hard it is to install the Ati drivers?

I have dual XFX Radeon 4890's that melted on me. They were part of the dreaded "august" batch from 09. The last one just gave out on me about a week ago, lasted exactly a year. About to send both back since I did the 3rd party warranty program from NewEgg on the cards for 2yrs. After this I am going to build a computer for a friend with the repaired cards and send the 2nd one to another friend to upgrade his build.

Back