• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

--How Do You Remove The Hsf--

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it was the first time i tryed it. i unclipped the HSF on
the old HP and pulled, now the pentium core is all blue.
is there a trick to this?

ur trouble might have been because there was some sort of glue on the bottom of the heatsink. many newer processors have a clip that you have to push down on with a screwdrive and then it will realease.

Good luck

thanks
so with thermal grease on a HSF i wouldnt experience this? it just
come off becuase the grease is gonna be greasy not sticky.

It was probably the crappy thermal pad if any on the old HP. that is why i build em from now on hehe

The P3 cores are blue. Don't worry, they're supposed to be that color. Do you know exactly what heatsink you have? There are a few different types of clips. I'm assuming you want to remove the heatsink off of your current CPU.

yeah, i want to put a better HSF on. i can mannage the clips but am cared about pulling the fan and the AMD core coming with it. ehhe im paranoid like that.

its an ANTEC that says it covers up to 1.5gigz

the core looks like it has some "crap" stuff still on it from when i removed the HSF on the pentiom 3. will this effect the CPU? or has it been damaged?

antec is probably the name of the fan. Yes you will need to clean off the heatsink b4 you use it again. im confused about one thing, are you planning on using the hsf from the P3 to cool the AMD? if you are, DONT. if you do it probably wont smell good. You dont have to worry about pulling the core out, it just doesnt happen

nope

was going to take out the p3 from my old HP and give the CPU to my bro. he didnt want it so they HSF and CPU both sit and collect dust.

a week after i did that i built my current rig so i have no nead
for them.

i wanted to take off the ANTEC on my XP CPU and get a nice fan for some OCin

All you got there is a big red "X". The guck you can clean off with some type of mineral spirit (Lighter fuid, acetone, nail polish remover, etc...). You just have to go over the surface afterwards with achohol to make sure there is no residue left.

It looks like leftover bits of the thermal pad. Try removing it with some lighter fluid. It takes a few seconds for the fluid to start dissolving the hardened material, so don't scrub at it. Just put some fluid on a clean cloth that you're not going to use for anything else (very important, mother's tend to have fits when when you use their good cloths), and hold it to the die for about 30 secs. Then start wiping gently at the die. The die should look all blue after you're finished. Then examine it very closely. Check to see that there are no chips taken out of the die. If you can, see if you can get a close up of the CPU die. It's a little hard to tell in the pic you posted.

here is the picture of the close up. thanks a lot crystal method. you've helped me a bunch. glad to know there are good people on these forums

:p

sig3.jpg

Starfox said:
here is the picture of the close up. thanks a lot crystal method. you've helped me a bunch. glad to know there are good people on these forums

:p

sig3.jpg

i dunno if anyone said this yet but the blue part is the core and the other stuff is from a thermal pad.
some isotoply alchole might take it off.

Yep, that's what I thought, it's just what's left of the thermal pad. I just wanted to be sure. You can just dissolve it with nail polish remover, or lighter fluid, then go over it with some Isopropyl alchohol, to remove and residue left by whatever solvent you choose to use. Don't forget to use some sort of thermal grease if you decide to use the CPU again. There's a really good tutorial about how to apply thremal grease here.

It's from the Arctic Silver site, but the application process is the same for any thremal grease.

thanks for all the help. here is the final results from my cleaning. i used lighter fluid.:p

sig1.JPG

Back