• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NH-D14 in HAF-X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

haru124

I know loads of 'help me decide' questions must be asked here, but alas i'm going to add to them.

I'm looking at buying a HAF-X case with a MSI Big Bang fusion mobo and a NH-D14 cooler and some Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dominator, i'm just curious if the NH-D14 will fit in the case... as well as clearing the dominator ram, because i know the rams heatsinks are like 1cm taller than average? I've read one post somewhere on someone struggling to fit it in the case, so i'm just curious if anyone could advise me on this before i purchase it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You won't have any problems fitting the NH-D14 HS into the Haf X. The Haf X is huge enough to fit almost anything. Your biggest problem would be the dual fan fitting on the HS without getting in the way of your mobo MSI Big Bang Fuzion as the RAM slots seems to be very compact towards the CPU socket. So depending on the RAM you're using, your biggest problem is the NH-D14 blocking RAM slots and not the case itself.

I had a similar problem when I used Corsair A70 for my rig and the dual fan was blocking 2 of my RAM slots for my Asus Rampage III Extreme and in the end I had to take off the fan that was blocking RAM slots to just use a pull effect on the other side (lost some performance but it was alright). Then ultimately a week later I decided to swap it out for the Corsair H70.

Yea, you have a good point there, i just edited my above post at the same time.. perhaps dominator ram probably isnt the best idea...

Yea, you have a good point there, i just edited my above post at the same time.. perhaps dominator ram probably isnt the best idea...

I use dominator ram as well and yea the heatsink on the ram is a little tall but like m0r7 is saying, offsetting the 2nd fan on the ram side a little higher could/can fix the problem and also if you want you can remove the spikey heatsink on top of the dominator ram (though for me I love having it there which is why I rather replace the CPU heatsink :p)

Ohh thanks mortifer, them links are just what i was after!

I've decided to go for some OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Platinum sticks since i should get similar performance without the need for the larger heatsink and i found them abit cheaper.

Thanks for all the help guys :).

If I get a noctua dh-d14, and after a couple years I decide to swap platforms, will I be able to get a new mounting for the other platform?

If I get a noctua dh-d14, and after a couple years I decide to swap platforms, will I be able to get a new mounting for the other platform?

LGA2011 heatsinks are slated to be perfectly compatible with LGA1366 (will fit in the 8.5mm hole of the noctua kit, and similar mounting structure). That will be coming out in Q2 or Q3 next year.

Not sure about the 1156 replacement (1155, which is coming in a couple months), that will remain to be seen.

noctua's support is really good, so you just have to contact them and they'll send you any mounting brackets you might want.

looks like it's the standard viper II heatsink to me and noctua says it will fit...worst case you just offset the fan up a little.

Back