• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to buy Asus Maximus X Apex, a few questions..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gold333

Registered
1. Will an ASUS GTX670 Top CUii work in an Asus Maximus X Apex?

I'm upgrading a (very old) PC and wanted to run my old card until I upgrade the GPU in a few months.

2. Will the Asus Maximus X Apex (a card labelled as EATX) fit in the NZXT S340 Elite?

Any one know? Has some advice?

If not, is it possible to run an X Apex/8700k/Coolermaster AIO MasterLiquid Pro 240/ WD BLACK M.2 on just a motherboard baseplate without a case for a while (no OC)? The CPU would be cooled but the other components not.

3. Will the Cooler Master SilentPro 600W (a PSU from 2008) power the Asus Maximus X Apex, a 8700K and a GTX670/1080?

At least for a few months until I upgrade the PSU? The SilentPro 600w has never given me trouble through numerous power shortages, etc.

1. Yes it will.

2. The S340 supports alll Eatx motherboards. Although the Apex board is designed for serious overclocking usually with LN2. I wouldn’t recommend that as a good consumer motherboard because its purpose built for extreme overclocking. The Apex only has two Dimm slots for ram so upgrading ram will be expensive since you will have to buy 16gb modules to get to 32gb. I would highly recommend looking at the Asus ROG Maximus X.

3. I would not use a 600w psu for two power hungry gpus. The 1080 will pull 250w with an Oc, a 670 will pull at least 200w and a 8700k pushes to high overclocks could push 130watts. I would recommend a 750/850w psu.

Thanks for much for your help.

2. I already got the X Apex. I like the look of it and I'm an old school overclocker (I ran an Asus Striker II/Q9650 on 4.2ghz for 10 years on air.) I figure I'll be tinkering with it. Got some TridentZ RGB 2x8gb 3200mhz 14's as a starter. See how I get on.

I'm trying to fidget the Apex into an S340 Elite and I had to take off the white metal bar. Maybe I can replace it once all the connections are in. I'll post an update on the build once I've hooked it up.

3. As for the GPU's, this PSU will be running either a 670 OR a 1080. I'll run the 670 until I get a 1080.

the 600w should be enough in that case right?

Since it's ten years old I would consider upgrading it as one of the first things on your list. The last thing you want is a failure taking down your other new components.

Back